Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 05:30:20 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Why is a guy who sews canvas entitled to charge 4x as much as I make?

Started by Tejas, April 15, 2013, 01:52:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

I get a tip once in a while.   Maybe once a year.  On the other hand, I get in $500,000 houses for a job for a store and they ask me if I can fix something else while I'm there and don't offer anything for my time.   In the future, I'm going to say, "Yes, it will be $xx, right up front." 

Lady this morning had a bill that was $xx.95 with tax.    I even had a nickel handy if she wanted to just give me all bills.   She pulled a Tupperware out of her kitchen drawer and counted out two quarters, four dimes and a nickel.    ::)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I've noticed that any time I hand the customer an invoice in the high 90's (such as $195...$595....$1295....etc.), they round up to the nearest 100. Even the ones who are writing me a check do it. I guess they want to keep the math simple in their ledger. Cool with me.

I think it's funny that when you hand a waitress $60 to pay a $52 check, she will bring you eight $1 bills, in change.
If she brings you a $5 and three $1's, there's a greater likelihood that the three $1's is all that she'll get for a tip.
But if she brings you eight $1's, odds are she'll get at least a $6 tip.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Some of these wait staff really earn their money which is why I always tip well. The BS they have to go through sometimes is atrocious.

I have seen them getting an ass chewing for food quality. Really ?? As if they had anything to do with what was cooked and prepped. Some people can be real jerks when dealing with waiters/waitresses and the way they look down on wait staff really flames my butt.

I wouldn't want the job.

Chris

scottymc

Sofa, bad luck for the poor girl if she is running short of $1 notes, no offense to you mate, but this is a good example of how hard the job is for them sometimes. The girl may have been doing a reasonable job up until she ran out of $1 bills, she stumbled at the finish line, sounds like they have to major in physiology to make a buck in that game :D

Chris, most things are cheaper in the U.S of A. and we pay way more tax, but I didn't stay there cause  I was working illegally and  I can only handle the different culture for so long, I love coming over for holidays but it's to dog eat dog for me.

You may like the "pay as you feel restaurant" lentilasanything.com/about/, probably wouldn't work at a steakhouse. :)

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on April 17, 2013, 02:28:06 pm
Sofa, bad luck for the poor girl if she is running short of $1 notes, no offense to you mate, but this is a good example of how hard the job is for them sometimes.
I always tip at least 15%, unless I had a really un-attentive waiter. Like Chris, I don't blame the waiter for bad food.  But I can't stand it when they practically break their neck to look the other way when I'm trying to get their attention. And I really hate it when I'm held hostage at a restaurant after I'm done eating. When I'm ready to leave, I want my check. Some people make an entire night of eating at a restaurant. Not me. I swoop in.....eat.....and leave.

byhammerandhand

Stand up, put on your coat, have your wife pick up her purse, head for the door, and see if they come quickly with your check.

Quote from: sofadoc on April 17, 2013, 03:08:16 pm
And I really hate it when I'm held hostage at a restaurant after I'm done eating. When I'm ready to leave, I want my check. Some people make an entire night of eating at a restaurant. Not me. I swoop in.....eat.....and leave.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

Quote from: sofadoc on April 17, 2013, 03:08:16 pm
Quote from: scottymc on April 17, 2013, 02:28:06 pm
Sofa, bad luck for the poor girl if she is running short of $1 notes, no offense to you mate, but this is a good example of how hard the job is for them sometimes.
I always tip at least 15%, unless I had a really un-attentive waiter. Like Chris, I don't blame the waiter for bad food.  But I can't stand it when they practically break their neck to look the other way when I'm trying to get their attention. And I really hate it when I'm held hostage at a restaurant after I'm done eating. When I'm ready to leave, I want my check. Some people make an entire night of eating at a restaurant. Not me. I swoop in.....eat.....and leave.

Believe it or not restaurant owners and managers try and get the customer in, seated and then out right away after they eat. The more times then can turn a table over with different customers, the more money they make. The big chains are very good at this.

I once had an owner ask me and a client to finish what we were doing and leave. We were actually having a working lunch and going over paperwork and stuff while also having lunch. It was a small place but he had numerous empty tables.

I told him not a problem we would leave. And wont be back again. :) I used to take clients there for lunch and sometimes he would stand and stare at customers after they ate hoping they would get the message and leave. I guess many did what I did and left and never came back. He ended up closing down and going out of business.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on April 17, 2013, 03:58:01 pm
Believe it or not restaurant owners and managers try and get the customer in, seated and then out right away after they eat. The more times then can turn a table over with different customers, the more money they make.
I always considered myself to be a waiter's "wet dream". I seldom complain about anything, and I'm in and out in 30 minutes. While others may tip more generously than I do, they also sit there and gab all night long.

We used to occasionally eat out with a guy that would ALWAYS complain about the food. The manager would comp his meal, and then he would leave the waiter a huge tip. So technically, HE wasn't tipping the waiter, the manager was. He actually had the nerve to accuse ME of being a chintzy tipper, when he rarely ended up paying for his own meal.

Quote from: byhammerandhand on April 17, 2013, 03:34:17 pm
Stand up, put on your coat, have your wife pick up her purse, head for the door, and see if they come quickly with your check.
I once followed a waiter from table to table for nearly 10 minutes. Since he knew that I was pissed, and he wasn't getting a tip, he just kept on waiting on other tables, refusing to go total my check.

scarab29

Ok 4x as much as who makes? I did a zipper for a guy yesterday . Came in at 9 . called him at noon and said its done. $40 bucks , flipped me a 50 and said we're even. I will quote bloboaters only time plus materials. Don't get too many that will go for that but like right now in high season it's not worth my time to dick around.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

me I dint calculate a tip if its 52 I give here 60 and say ge the change and get up  in not a all night guy either eat and leave 1/2 hour. im not a complainer either one Friday I had a early day so I stoped to reregister my boat then stoped for lunch at a new spot I was done quick with lunch and the old lady waitress left me sitting there  to werer I was getting hot and about redy to look for her but about 20 minutes waiting I got my check to being still an early day I went to the marina to stick on the new sticker on my boat bypassing my house on to the marina not long there but then went on home to find my wheelchair handicapped  father drowned in my pool  I wish I had not been so forgiving that day and left sooner