Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:01:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstering Rocker

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, April 11, 2013, 02:21:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Hi Ya'll!

New to the discussion forum.  I'm the owner of Virg's Sew & Sew in Grand Island NE.  I do a little bit of everything when it comes to sewing.  I got started with upholstery last fall.  Primarily upholster vintage cars but am willing to try my hand at upholstering anything at least once.

Right now, I'm reupholstering a customer's rocker which originally belonged to her mother.  It's pretty straightforward.  Am reusing original fabric whenever possible.  My biggest question so far is a supply question.  May or may not want to replace original swivel mechanism with a modern version.  Among other reasons, it would be less likely to tip.  Problem is finding a vendor source for the newer mechanisms.  I've spent 3 or 4 afternoons using various searches on the internet and am having problems locating them.  Anyone with a good vendor source would be greatly appreciated.    I should add that I've searched most of the vendors at the top of the home page and didn't find what I think I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me!

Virginia

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I've ordered a number of items from these folks who deal in swivel chairs (think office chairs), rockers, etc.   Lots of good information on how they're put together, repair techniques, etc.

I send them a photo if there's any doubt and they let me know what parts I need.

http://www.swivel-chair-parts.com/

OK, this time, send the initiation fee to Sofadoc and first year's dues to me. ;-)

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Virgs Sew n Sew

Good Afternoon!

Thanks for the welcome, linkies & humor!  Glider mechanism is what I was looking for.  Doubt that we will go either direction.  Current mechanism works but customer was wondering about switching it out for the "round platform" type; however they are a bit pricey so I'm thinking she probably won't want to go that direction.

Is everyone else glad that the 15th has come and gone?  I also do my widowed MIL's and of course procrastinated on both of them till practically the last minute.  I was buried under a mount of tax forms, receips and other documentation from mid-day Friday until I went to the Library to spend a small fortune on copies mid-day on Monday.  Whew!  Glad that is over with for the year.  Now that taxes are mailed and I've had a short melt-down, I can get back to the business of reupholstering my customer's rocker.

I was amazed at the number of staples I pulled out during tear out.  I tend to space about 1/2" apart but this sucker had staple upon staple upon staple.  I would guess several hundred and probably closer to 350-400 range.  Amazing!

Thanks again for the linkies and welcome!  Will post pictures of this once I've got the new fabric in place.  My other ventures to date are a 1912 EMF which isn't quite done -- waiting for the owner to fix two of the bows which are currently in sad shape and reupholstering 12 bench seats for one of the diners here in town.  That was an adventure for another thread (already one by that name and I do have some questions regarding that so will post over there when I get some free time).

Will get chattier later -- need to get some work done this afternoon while it's too cold and crappy to enjoy my yard and all of the weeds that await me.

Virginia

crammage

Welcome to the board.  My grandfather used to work for Union Pacific Railroad and he was stationed in Grand Island.  They lived in Kearney but I spent many a day in Grand Island doing different things when I was younger.

Queiros

DLT upholstery supply might have it, I have a catalog from them and they have some hardware that might work for you.