Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 05:23:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My introduction with a single question

Started by Alsworld, April 05, 2013, 05:15:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Alsworld

Alright, a few photos of a case I made for myself about three months ago.  What's new?  I have begun using binding around the edges and attaching my zipper to it.  I make the binding myself with the help of some Sailrite binding making tools and machine attachments.  Works pretty good although I have a slight issue with the joined binding feeding through when sewing, kind of tough (thickness).  It finally dawned on me "why don't I use 500D Cordura for the binding while making the rest of the case out of 1000D"? I think I will order some 500D just for that purpose.  I can get many cases made of binding out of a single yard of material.  Man I sure wish they made Cordura pre-made binding like Sunbrella offers, that stuff is fun to sew with! I have tried Gosgrain webbing and it's easy but just feels cheesy to me.

This case was made from 1/4" sew foam and of course has mistakes, but I was very happy how the inside turned out.  No wrinkles!  I have improved this on another case with 1/2" foam but never took photos.  Shame on me.  Anyway, here is what I consider a basic case...

The foam separated along the front edge from the binding zipper area.  I have already fixed that for all future cases.  Also the handle webbing is sewn too close together.  I did try to balance the weapon but it's happened twice so I'm just going to have to spread it wider.  A few more inches of webbing is all it will cost me per side.  Needs to happen.

Total shot of inside.

The inside came out real nice, I was happy with it except my zipper webbing excess.  Zipper teeth were too close to the edge of material which gave me excess inside.  I will improve this.

Happy with this material except... it's new.  White carpet looks great when it's new until its walked on after a rainstorm and the mud shows.  I think I should make the inside material darker to accommodate hiding gun powder, oils, dirt, etc.  Surfing now for a uniform darker color that looks nice and will mesh with multiple outer colors.

Okay, that's all my photos for now.  I still have work to do but getting better.  My last case (no photos) was the best I made but again the inside colors where light.  And 1/4" foam was a mistake, not enough protection.  Also the camo was because I got a great deal and couldn't pass it up.  I plan on more popular colors as I begin and expand.

Alan   

Mojo

From a technical standpoint I think your cases are awesome. Your stitch lines look good, nice and straight. Your use of the webbing is good as well.

I think you have a winner on your hands. Remember, these are custom / handmade case so should be sold as such. Don't short change yourself on price.

I am curious, what are you asking for them ?

Chris

Mike

I agre with mojo don't sell yourself short in custom work. when I had a business in NH I had a small sportshop also and sold flyrod that had cases similar to your   you could branch out and double your market providing expensive flyrod cases with holders also for fly cases and tools such as clippers and medical  sucheurs

Alsworld

Chris, thank you for your words of encouragement.  To answer your question, for now I just don't know?  It is my first business venture but price is what will make or break it.  My thinking is for a basic case as above, a fairly set price that is affordable but not compete with chain stores or overseas made stuff.  This is Made in America and I really put lots of efforts into bringing the quality back to that statement, not some flag waving cliché.  I MUST make profit and sell quality to make the effort worthwhile, while not going overboard.  I understand that the government will take so much (taxes, Social Security, etc.) so all that factors into my end cost.  But I cannot sell myself short as you are so right in stating.  Pockets and such will be options and cost more appropriately.  Up to now, everything I have been purchasing has been retail price in small quantity.  I did a quick cost analysis awhile back and it turned out that for the cost of one case, materials were 1/3rd, shipping was 2/3rds.  That flagged me hard but a good reality check.  I am doing everything out of pocket but MUST reduce that shipping expense.  Bulk buying should help to keep some stock on hand but to me, (at this point) bulk buying may be 5 yards of material.  Yes, I am small ha ha!  That's okay, it will keep getting better and I will grow.  I am a realist, doing this wont make me a millionaire and it will be some long work days, but I think everyone on this site knows this much more than me.  At least I don't have false or unrealistic dreams.

But, there are not allot of people doing this type of work, and what I have found out there on the internet is everyone has very different designs.  That helps me because what I have in my head (but yet to fabricate) is like nothing I have seen before.  Some of what I find are (in my opinion) way over priced, but I have no desire to undercut nor copy anyone's ideas.  I want to be original and hope people will pay their hard earned dollars for it.  I think they will.  I have some really cool options, (including removable...) but I am pretty good at putting the horse before the cart so sometimes it's slow down, get back to basics and making things consistent.

One more thing.  I do have a feel and experience with making production runs, and that is exactly what I need to do with myself and these cases.  So far I have not, doing one at a time.  It is a mistake.  These can be made in runs and get some timing down.  No loss in quality, just doing business smarter and much more efficient.  I know I can be much more efficient even with my limited space.  Simple things like patterns help  :). 

I am all ears concerning business and cost advice.  I am 100% ignorant concerning this but at least I realize it.

I got a haircut recently from a new barber shop.  As I talked with the owner, he gave me some advice that was taught to him.  It was "if you don't have at least 4 people a week walking out saying you are too expensive, then you are undercutting yourself.  People will pay for quality".  It at least made me feel better.

Aren't you glad I am so short winded?   :-[

Alan

Alsworld

Mike I read your message and it dawned on me, I live in the Live Music Capitol of the World, Austin Texas.  Custom soft guitar cases?  I better get busy cloning myself, things just might be getting busy!

Alan

sofadoc

Quote from: Alsworld on April 05, 2013, 05:15:22 pm
I currently have a Bernina 217N-08 and it works fine for what I do, but dream of a Juki 1541 down the line.  It will be the next sewing machine.
This looks like a pretty good price on a slightly used one. 200 miles from you:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/3733724857.html
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Alan; those are all top shelf already. Yes, there were a couple of minor "bobbles" on the first,but I would be hard pressed to find a customer to pay for even a "custom"  case that took as long to make as the camo  with that much attention to detail.

Ramblings;

If you stretch the lining and "tack it" to the table before gluing the foam on ; it is less likely to pucker when you fold the case and it is now on the inside curve.

I've made/bought a few cases with a contrasting centrefold Sunbrella binding.Personally I like the look. I don't have an example here ---but; if you sew the zipper inside the lining,bind it,turn and top stitch you can "cover"  the zipper the same as sofa cushion.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Alsworld

Evening all,

been busy the last few days patterning, fabricating and experimenting.  Gotta put forth the efforts instead of just talk and think about them  :).  Thanks for the link sofadoc!  Sure wish the funds were in place, slighty used for that price would surely be worth the trip.  Just don't have the cash right now.  I sewed on a Juki 1541, a larger Highlead and a Juki bar tacker for about 10 months in 2010 and wish I could own them all. But the 1541 I will own someday, just prefer not to go into debt getting started.  Of course my mind could change next week...

Darren, simple ideas from you are a huge help for me.  Experience of everyone here really helps me quicken my learning curve.  It's things like that that help me so much, thank you!

The past few days I have ordered more external and internal fabric.  My normal job is slowing for a few weeks and they are reducing hours which gives me time to fabricate when it all arrives.  I am working on one case now and it is by far my most complicated.  I need this to challenge myself.  Fortunately, it is for my nephew, a US Army Captain and I have no time constraints.  As said previously, I wish to start my business officially in June if I can make that deadline.  It's my own set deadline but I used June as a date for all my tax forms and such establishing my own business.  So much to do and figure out but when all else fails, get back to the basics and fabricate.

I have finished a custom pocket for this case where I formed Kydex to a pistol and will rivet in a custom holster in an outer center pocket as he wanted.  When I do this I will post photos because it will show some of the hidden quality features that will never be seen once completed.  I need this case to be flawless as I will photos to my website when it's up and running, another project not even started.  Won't be real soon but coming.  Today I made some magazine holsters like June and Mike suggested.  It was just experimental but the upper portions and sizing came out great.  With the sewing it looked phenomenal but I need to work the bottom and sides more.  Baby steps for you all maybe but for me the initial results were extremely motivating.  I was real pleased and will continue to pursue this more.  When I finalize one that I am happy with I will post pictures and then maybe you can see what I have in my head on what I am chasing after.  Once patterned it will look complicated (and it is) but will be somewhat simple to fabricate if I stick to my order of sewing.  We'll see, I must get there first and it's coming along.

Anyway just wanted to update those who may have an interest in watching a newbie create something new during the exciting part of starting a business (before it becomes a job ha ha!).  Keeping my day job for now, but sure hope my next boss is me!  Time will tell...

Alan 

JuneC

Kool.  And as you progress, don't forget the ladies.  I don't think anyone out there makes a rifle case for the ladies.  For inspiration, look at your wife's (and her friends) purses and shoes for styling and design elements.  Lots of ideas there that could make it attractive.  I don't own a gun or shoot for a hobby, but I have friends who do.  It's an under-served market.  Kinda like tools.  I have small hands and it kills me when I can't handle a tool simply because there's too much distance between the safety and trigger. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

Out of curiosity, what does a gun case sell for today?  Well, a range might help to understand the potential of this business.  Of course potential has volume wrapped all around it.  Is this an item picked up often by gun people?

We do furniture and something like decorator pillows are a loser for us, no matter how custom we make them.  To see a going business in pillows it would take a volume producer (factory so to speak) to be able to set up equipment and buy materials at the lowest prices.  Cheaper labor is essential also and is not available, therefore labor would have to be offset by some very expensive hardware and software. 

A hobby, it sounds interesting and satisfying, your work is to be commended.

Doyle

Alsworld

June,
yes you are absolutely correct on targeting all genders, not just one.  My wife reminds me of this daily ha ha.  Your ideas for getting design ideas are great and I have lots around the house to study.  I guess I will have to study colors as well.  The typical stereotype color men think of is pink, but I know that is just what I called it, a stereotype.  Although for some women it is applicable but certainly not all.  When I get there, research can assist me.

Doyle,
I went this route for a number of reasons.  Mostly because this is my "Intro to Business in the Real World" and I need things to be slow, low volume as I kick things off.  Like you said, custom is only for the few and not the masses, and with the economy hurting, not everyone can shell big bucks when their belt is tight.  I need this lower volume as it gives me many learning aspects including the following;

Marketing, advertisement, contacts, vendors, customer relations, paying taxes without getting into any trouble with Uncle Sam, website creation, etc.  I can push myself to create, design and fabricate my own ideas and get a reality check on what is desired, what price people will pay, does Made In USA sell?  Does it matter?  But at least I can rely on myself during this period and grow.  And not to mention the startup cost is extremely low as I have the tools and space.  I work full time so this will be a part time business.  And like you mentioned, if I keep it at "hobby" status the IRS will come back on me, they frown on that with me purchasing wholesale and tax free.  So it is a push to make sure I am selling a quantity even if small to make or head towards a profit margin.

As for cost, the volume stores sell mostly foreign made cases from $10-50, with fancier ones a little higher.  Retail stores with a higher end target have massed produced selling for up to $120.  Most custom cases I see range from $150-$650.  I have bought some cheaper cases and they are made along US border towns by migrant workers who come across the border daily (legally) to make them so the company can add the label "Made in USA".  It happens right here in Texas every day and they can even call it Berry Amendment Compliant.  I am not going to compete with that cost nor sorry quality.  But, they do sell and in much larger quantity than I ever will in my shop.  I will exceed in quality and hope that some people will shell out their hard earned dollars for just that.  And in this industry, I feel very confident they will (albeit in smaller numbers for sure).

One thing I do know is for me trying to jump into the "tactical" market, aimed at military style high powered rifles and such is indeed flooded with foreign made stuff and they have that market  flooded with products, the prices are cheap and have some pretty good stuff.  I cannot compete unless I have something whizz-bang new.  Although I won't turn away that business, and am making one now, I will go more towards hunters, shooters and such.  The headlines in the news sadden me as much as everyone else and so I want to focus in another direction.  It is a huge industry so even starting small and low volume I will have customers.

As for mass produced factory?  I have no plans for this business going that route ever, but am thinking of future business (non-firearm related) that can.  I am hoping this first step will help me with all I mentioned above to ultimately launch something where I just might be able to earn some real money.  Who knows, it just might happen?  Anyway this is my reasoning behind the direction I am going.  And yes working with my own ideas, hands and creativity is indeed satisfying. 

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it being direct and keeping it real.  You see what works and what does not so I listen and pay attention to everyone's input.

Alan

Alsworld

Well I am back with an update.  It starts with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  A little frustration after a rough weekend of wasting time and material.  But a learning curve as well.  I'll call this a venting session but at least you all can see where I am going and where my mistakes are through my pictures.  Yes, I am getting there but the last 2 1/2 days have all been on one pocket I have yet to get down.  Yes, I am not good patterning but know I can do this.  I am close but so far success eludes me.  I will get it but at least wanted to share with photos of what I am attempting.

I have taken everyone's advise except Mikes, (I'm still using #8 coil zippers vice #10, it's what I have for now in the correct color).  In the future Mike the big zipper will be #10 but may keep #8 for pockets.  Undecided so far on that.

June and Chris,

I have two versions of magazine holders now, one for the inside of a pocket I call sleeves (open bottom) and a version 1 for the outside.  The sleeves are working out fine, the outer pocket is just a sample that came out okay.  Pictures to follow.

My failure this week and weekend is how to properly end my zipper (lets not talk sizing of my outer cover, my ever ending headache).  I know, zipper ends, sounds simple right?  For me in this particular case I have failed, and failed, and failed again.  Duh!  So today I put everything aside and worked outdoors.  I know I can get this but you all have given me such good advice, I thought I could at least show you where I am going and yes, even my failures.  I am a newbie and realize that so it gives me comfort (but my wallet screams other curse words)  :).  Thank goodness I am not doing this for a living....yet?

This is a two magazine sleeve sample.  I can sew them together tightly if only two but not three.  Bummer, I like this look.  Please disregard open edges on the sides, a sample only.  It is lined with 1/4" sew foam.

My Version 1 of an outer 3 magazine holder.  Of course it would require Velcro or snaps to hold down a cover flap.  I can do either.

What I am trying to create (outer picture).

yes the bottom left corner is bad, corrected on another cover (That still failed).

Inside before much is sewn.

This is what is all about, 3 internal sleeves.

We are getting there but this weekend was supposed to move faster and less expensive.  At least I hope you all can see that I have some talent (that is questionable ha ha) but am making some headway.  And yes, this is the hardest design I have done yet, a simple rifle case is peanuts compared to this.  I will get there...

Alan

Mojo

I think your pockets look great. Sorry I cannot help you with zippers. I rarely do them and not great at them when I do install them. I have struggled with them and find them to be a pain in the ass. The gang on here are very good at them and do them all the time, I suck at them. It is very hard to get good at something when your doing it once or twice a year......lol..:)

This business is all about learning. It is trial and error and ruining material and pulling your hair out. But time at the cutting table and at the machine is what makes you better. Every single one of us have been there........frustrated from screwing things up. But in time we get proficient and that is done by making mistakes.

I think your work is great. Keep it up.

Chris