Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:04:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Memory Foam

Started by baileyuph, April 03, 2013, 05:33:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Anyone have information on computing cost of Memory
Foam?

A customer asked (I understand for a bed) but I didn't have any information on that.  Just thought one of the readers here might have information (perhaps a formula)?

I hear it is expensive, relatively speaking.

Doyle

sofadoc

I get 2 or 3 calls a month from people wanting a 2" slab of memory foam to top their mattress. I call my foam supplier to get a current price (since yesterday's foam price list is about as current as last week's stock market report). Once I know what my cost will be, then I call the customer back with a quote.

If they just want to "take it with them", then I quote them a price that reflects a small mark-up, plus shipping charges.

Still, even with a small mark-up, a 2" king size piece is going to cost the customer close to $300.

That's always where the conversation ends. I've quoted prices for memory foam hundreds of times. I've yet to sell even one tiny piece.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I think I'd just say, "If you are interested, I can get you an exact price, but it's going to be between $300 and $400."   If there is an awkward silence on the line, you haven't wasted much time.

Salesman I know used to call this the "Flinch number."   Throw a number out and see if they flinch.

Quote from: sofadoc on April 03, 2013, 08:55:54 am
I get 2 or 3 calls a month from people wanting a 2" slab of memory foam to top their mattress. I call my foam supplier to get a current price (since yesterday's foam price list is about as current as last week's stock market report). Once I know what my cost will be, then I call the customer back with a quote.

If they just want to "take it with them", then I quote them a price that reflects a small mark-up, plus shipping charges.

Still, even with a small mark-up, a 2" king size piece is going to cost the customer close to $300.

That's always where the conversation ends. I've quoted prices for memory foam hundreds of times. I've yet to sell even one tiny piece.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I do the "Flinch number" thing with leather inquiries.

Most customers base their expectations for leather cost on bargain furniture store prices. They have no realistic concept of what a genuine leather job should cost. So I tell them up front that a leather sofa will cost  $3-5K.

Like Hammer says, if they don't flinch, then I'll sit down and seriously crunch some numbers.

But with foam quotes, it only takes a couple of minutes to call my supplier first. You don't waste a lot of time, like with a leather quote. And while I've yet to sell any memory foam, I do sell a lot of regular foam core replacement jobs in the $300 range.

baileyuph

As a side note, is there a technical reason memory foam cost so much more?  Is it made as a derivative from petroleum?  I too have heard prices of a memory foam matteress (if that is a correct description) some where in the $600 altitude.  I suppose it was at least 6 inches thick.  Then, I suppose if one needed a cover, it is covered isn't it, that would be some additional cost.

Thanks for any information,

Doyle

byhammerandhand

April 04, 2013, 10:56:46 am #5 Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:57:58 am by byhammerandhand
I have a bunch to sell at $250   (note that it's 1.5" of memory foam and 2.5" of other foam)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-4-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/4569413
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on April 04, 2013, 10:56:46 am
I have a bunch to sell at $250   (note that it's 1.5" of memory foam and 2.5" of other foam)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-4-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/4569413
From now on, when I get a call about memory foam, I'm just gonna send 'em straight to Hammer! ;)

Mojo

My wife and I just bought a new memory foam mattress at Sams. For a 13 inch queen with a gel layer it was around $ 500.

I have bought cheap memory foam mattress toppers in the past that are an inch or 2 inches thick for dog beds at Walmart for less then $ 100. I have no idea what they cost these days. of course they are cheap ones with crappy density ratings.

Chris

Mike

Quote from: byhammerandhand on April 03, 2013, 03:53:36 pm
I think I'd just say, "If you are interested, I can get you an exact price, but it's going to be between $300 and $400."   If there is an awkward silence on the line, you haven't wasted much time.

Salesman I know used to call this the "Flinch number."   Throw a number out and see if they flinch.

not to get off subject  but I had a lad y stop in the shop yesterday said she was told to see me could I come to her house anf hand sew here rv awning  about a foot,, I said don't hand sew it would have to come off I said about $200 at least off sew install she said " oh !  I cant spend that "

byhammerandhand

let me guess, this was a $130,000 class A RV?

Quote from: Mike on April 05, 2013, 02:48:16 pm

not to get off subject  but I had a lad y stop in the shop yesterday said she was told to see me could I come to her house anf hand sew here rv awning  about a foot,, I said don't hand sew it would have to come off I said about $200 at least off sew install she said " oh !  I cant spend that "
Keith

west coast

Doyle you would never use 6 inches of memory foam its not feasable. I never put more than 3 inches of memory foam on a  matt and more often than not 2 inches. I usual put it on a nice ultra cell core or a combination of cu and 2 pound but never 6 inches by itself.

Mojo

Quote from: byhammerandhand on April 05, 2013, 03:16:23 pm
let me guess, this was a $130,000 class A RV?

Quote from: Mike on April 05, 2013, 02:48:16 pm

I am going to guess it was a towable or older gas MH. The more expensive rig owners just buy new. But you do run into some cheap ones now and then. I quoted a patio awning to a guy once and he said " Damn, that's more then my whole rig is worth ". :)

Chris

baileyuph

This thread has been a good overview of how memory foam is used, a memory topper over another piece of foam.

So, go about 2 inches of memory over whatever you need to build height?

It is understandable that sure helps on the price.

Doyle

Grebo

I use the crappy cheap stuff  :)
I brought a 2" 'topper' off amazon for about £30. been using it on our own bed for a couple of years & it's still going strong, nice & comfy. If customers want one made to fit their boat bed. I give them the current price plus shipping plus 'fitting'.  I can usually sell them fitted bedding at the same time so it's worth it.
I can't get a better price from anywhere else & the quality is good enough.

Suzi