Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 01:21:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

snap on table coverings

Started by jsquail, February 28, 2013, 06:15:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

just refinished my sewing table and I am looking to make some snap on covers when I am sewing clear window vinyls such as strataglass, crystal clear, aquaview, etc. What materials does everyone use to cover their tables for sewing window vinyls to keep them from getting scratches?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

JuneC

I just throw old bed sheets on the table under the glass.  The sheets move along with the glass - they're not snap-on.  IMHO, this is a better solution because if there happens to be any grit on the surface, it doesn't scratch because the underlay moves along with the glass.  If you snap on a cover, better be sure it's really clean.  I also roll the new enclosure panels in sheets until installation.  They work really well for protection and I encourage customers to use old ones for separation of panels for storage - 100% cotton only, no rayon, polyester or microfiber (since you don't know what's in there). 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I tried usi g soft   Felt like covers still seemed to scratch if there was somthing on the  cover. nd when id have to roll it up a d sew a u zipper in a panel lart of the  clear was on the mChine bed also rubbing.
So what i do i use clear 4 mil plastic   For my patterns
I lay the pattern on my table and lay the clear on top of the plastic pattern then transfer all  ippers mRks ect onto the clear. I mark
Y edge faving widths and then sew facing onto the sides sewi g the patternto the vinly.
When i have when im done with a panel the plastic will tear easily and the perforated stitches.
Keeping the plastic on the window nothing slides creating the scratches.

bobbin

If you search this site you may be able to find some old posts including mine on this very topic.  I do a lot of drapery work and that means that I have to be able to press on my tables.  I made my snap on/off covers out of canvas (which I preshrank) that I fitted to my tables.  Because I took the time to preshrink the goods before fitting them I can now launder them at will with no fear of shrinkage.  I launder them regularly, too!

I have a shop vacuum that has a roller brush rug attachment.  I give it quick cleaning, and use that to vacuum the surface of the covers when they begin to accumulate "schmutz", I have no issues with grit whatsoever. 

I don't do a lot of marine work in my own shop, but after 20+ yrs. in the trade I can tell you that protecting the "glass" is pretty important; esp. if you're using Strata or any of the other expensive options. 

Mike

after 22 years doing marine work ive tried many ways to protect the vinyl while working it t obe disappointed when done to still see fine scratches  ::)  I had belter luck when the vinyl wasn't sliding on something my snap on soft table covers. I tried cloths that slid on the tavle with the vinyl but made working hard. 

as I said before not till I sewed my plastic patterns to the window eliminating all sliding of vinyl onn the table have I had success. 

here the plastic pattern is sewn into the facings till im done and they easily tear off
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/88E77E92-6548-4CD0-9E7C-8EB5CF7DFA59-589-000000EFCD44CBC2_zps43ec4555.jpg