Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 01:30:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Beaver pelts

Started by gene, February 18, 2013, 06:50:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

February 18, 2013, 06:50:22 pm Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:53:15 pm by gene
Hello,

I was given 10 or so small, tanned, beaver pelts today. It was suggested by the giver of the pelts that I could make a hat, or a vest.

PDF file for making a beaver hat.  http://www.aarontkennedy.com/alaska/diyBeaverHat.pdf

Here's a fur sewing machine. http://www.flickr.com/photos/77578373@N00/3383871564/

I thought of making a pillow or two but my wife expressed a bit too much sympathy for the dead beavers this evening when I showed her one of the pelts. So, I don't think she would want the pillows around the house.

I could always see if any customers were interested.

I also thought of hanging a few on my walls at work and telling people they are cat hides.

Can I use my Juki LU 562 sewing machine, which has a smaller bobbin than the LU 563, to sew these pelts together?

Anyone else have any projects where they worked with hair on hide?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

crammage

I had customer bring me two bins of old fur coats that she wanted made into pillows and a bench.  They were a mix of mink, beaver, rabbit and even a bobcat hide.  The biggest challenge was dealing with the hides that were dried out because they get brittle and rip. 
I actually used my domestic machine to sew them using a small zigzag stitch.  A straight stitch had a tendency to cut the hide.  They are thing compared to working with cow hide leather.  At least the lot that was used in these coats.  On some of them I actually used a linen backing that I glued on because I was afraid the hide would tear.  Used hide glue to adhead the linen to the back of the hide.  Seemed to work ok.

That's my experience.  It was fun in that I got to work with something I normally don't and to be creative since she let me do whatever I wanted as far as patching them together for pillows and the bench.

Clay

kodydog

Sewed two throw pillows with our Singer 111-154. Had to pick all hairs out of the seams but looked really cool when done.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

cthomps

I have sewn a few fur items down through the years.  Just this winter, I  replace fake hood trim with white fox.  I use a toothpick to tuck the hair in before I sew the seam.  The toothpick is rough and grabs the hair.  Less picking that way.  I use a long straight stitch.  About 4mm on a Viking #1 sewing machine.  If I have to cross seams, or it is too thick, I use my sailrite.  I prefer the smaller leather needle in my home use machine to minimize the hole size.  I also use regular sewing thread, as my work is typically garment.

You can do some really neat stuff by changing the direction of the fur growth.  ie.  stripes.   I saw a beaver vest this winter a gentleman had made from skins he trapped and had tanned.  He had it made for his daughter and it was gorgeous! 

If you are still interested in a fur machine, I saw one on Craigslist.  Duluth MN for around 700.00 I think. 
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Darren Henry

QuoteHad to pick all hairs out of the seams

What I have done is to skive the fur that will be in the salvage and then brush the rest away from the seam even if that was "the wrong direction" as I sewed. A mustache trimmer works great for skiving the fur.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

QuoteAnyone else have any projects where they worked with hair on hide?

Only in my former life. I've made a couple of pairs of rabbit fur mittens and lined boots and braces etc in sheep skin. BUT; I did have some ideas hit me this 14 th read of this thread (yeah, some times I'm a little slow  ;D):

> I've seen vintage parlor furniture done originally ( I was told) in hair on.Circa pre-war. Maybe a small settee with some nice wood accents ??  or a couple of small parlor chairs??

>They would totally rock for mittens, if you know anyone who ever plays in sub zero weather. I was gifted a pair of black bear mitts that , with a woolen liner etc..., are warmer than the ones the Canadian army used to issue---including to our Ranger regiments that patrol the far north. And I thought they kicked butt  :o

>
QuoteI also thought of hanging a few on my walls at work and telling people they are cat hides
;)

Better yet: Quilt them all into as large a "pelt" as you can make and play with your customer's heads; "Is that a grizzly bear?" ,"Humph,Na that's a Canadian beaver" :o"That's one beaver?" . " yeah, we let the bigger one go. We knew the ice would have to shift sooner or later and this was all needed to eat till then" . If they bite on it spin them a yarn (buy's you some time , 'cause you know they are going to want a quote before you've even had a look at the project). " Oh I went to see this guy I know up in N.W Ontario---That's in Canada 'ya know and we got iced in in his camp and ran out of grub. This one and her big fat Mom started chewing on the side of cabin one night and Darren didn't want any more wind coming in during  that storm and inviting them inside didn't seem really healthy. There was a heck of a ruckus when he went out--- but we ate good, and he insisted me on have this as a souvenir ". "That was in July---He wanted me to go back in late October to hunt Moose.----I passed "
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

fragged8

you just have to read any thread that mentions Beaver don't you  :o

Darren Henry

Quoteyou just have to read any thread that mentions Beaver don't you

>:( That's why your people sent us here isn't it? Tan the dirty down under and freeze the brave for profit? I hoped the market was getting better. I could be Hudson's Bay man, so long as I got company physio  ;D