Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 11:30:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tape on clear vinyl

Started by regalman190, February 16, 2013, 11:41:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

February 16, 2013, 11:41:21 am Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:26:17 pm by regalman190
Tried a new technique to protect clear vinyl windows while sewing trim and zippers on. Taped paper both sides with blue painters tape. Now that I'm done the glue has stuck to the vinyl. What's good way to remove the glue? Goo be gone seems to work. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Joe
Regal Canvas

Mike

Mike

Ill tell you what ive found to work best for me.
I pattern using the clear plastic 4 and 6 mill from home depot.
  I lay my pattern on the table inside up. Then i rollout my window material  over it and  and fit as best  as many panel will fit for a 111" sheet  ill ten using a straight edge mart and cut all window with a utility blade  and mark all marks and zipper start and stop marks.
I keep the plastic patter under eaxh window. I then add any material at the bottom and verticlal facing leaving the plastic   Sewint it on. Ill sew my u zippers on first before finnishing the top edge so the u zipper ends are hidden. One the window is done the plastic will tear easily a the peferations from sewing and i can pull all exposed plastic off. But i wait till im ready to install to protect them as. Long as possible.

regalman190

I typically cut the vinyl along with the backing paper and just move it around with the paper underneath it but I had seen the taped method and wanted to give it try. Don't think I'll do that again. Goo B Gone works but I'll give the wd 40 a try too.
Thanks
Regal Canvas

Mike

do you pattern with paper?  I wonder if it would tear at a stitch sean like the plastic like I  said I sew it n sewinf on a u zipper I sew zipper vinyl and plastic as if it didn't matter,  but  with the clear plastic it is easy top see underneath when I do my facings . I make a 3? nstrip of cancas marl a 1" line in fro the edge  sew the canvas on the bottom side then fold it around the edge sew it down on the outside edge of the vinyl then fold the cut edge under and sew a (top stitch) in the inner hemed edge one stitch line inside and out .

regalman190

February 17, 2013, 10:35:10 am #5 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:36:47 am by regalman190
I pattern with 4 or 6 mil plastic then place the pattern between the vinyl and the backing paper of the vinyl. Trace out the window, remove the pattern and cut the vinyl including the backer paper.
Do you bind the edges?
Regal Canvas

Mike

Oh i see i get rid o the paper and sew the plastic right on as fas as binding thebway i make the. DrficL double facing i o ly need to. Bind the top and. Oftom to bint the raw edges of the. Ertical facing that are folded.