Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 07:21:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

sofa deck

Started by gene, February 09, 2013, 03:36:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/DSCF2649_zps7f05dab8.jpg

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/DSCF2648_zpse6e6190b.jpg

This is the first time I've seen a deck like this. They sewed face fabric into the deck and added welt cord. 3 cushion sofa. The welt cord runs between the cushions.

Other than decorative, is there any reason to do a deck this way?

Was this common for a particular company or a particular time?

Does anyone do their decks this way for a unique "signature"?

Thanks for your thoughts.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JDUpholstery

probably just so if the cushions spread a little while sitting on them you dont see the odd colored decking...only thing I can think of for doing that

west coast

I have always done my decks this way. I never self deck anything, to my way of thinking why would you lay expensive fabric down then put the cushions on top of it and cover it up. The only time I put welt on the front lip is if the fabric is not railroaded and you will have seams then aesthetically it looks nicer to have welt there IMHO. This is the way I was taught to do it and I really see nothing wrong but everyone does things a little different not wrong just different.

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on February 09, 2013, 03:36:31 pm
This is the first time I've seen a deck like this. They sewed face fabric into the deck and added welt cord. 3 cushion sofa. The welt cord runs between the cushions.
Must be a regional thing, because I've seen a million of 'em done that way. If they come in my shop done like that, I send them out that way. Might as well put welt at the seams if the pattern (on the front deck) can't be both centered AND matched.

Quote from: west coast on February 09, 2013, 03:52:10 pm
to my way of thinking why would you lay expensive fabric down then put the cushions on top of it and cover it up.
If it's COM, I make a self deck (no sense in me using up all MY decking material).

Quote from: JDUpholstery on February 09, 2013, 03:39:31 pm
probably just so if the cushions spread a little while sitting on them you dont see the odd colored decking...only thing I can think of for doing that
Yup!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

February 09, 2013, 05:06:02 pm #4 Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:07:39 pm by DB
Cording adds strength and is not a bad idea where fabric tension would show the thread. also for the thinner fabrics.

Yes, years ago, I did see more of that technique employed.

Nice job, is that your work Gene?  I took it not to be.

Doyle

Kevinsews

I do this on decks when there are solid feather cushions because they do separate easily and show the deck.

MinUph

Yes we use to do decks this way. As stated it was to show fabric when the cushions spread apart when sitting on them.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Thanks for the replies.

I had not thought that it would be used so you see face fabric between the cushions instead of decking material.

This is not my work. I just started removing this blue floral fabric to reupholster it.

I reupholster a lot of furniture that is in excellent condition and the owners just want to change the fabric.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on February 10, 2013, 09:08:02 am
I reupholster a lot of furniture that is in excellent condition and the owners just want to change the fabric.

Me too. In fact, if you leave old rotten antiques out of the equation, I'd say about half of the pieces I recover are done just for the sake of change.

Some of it is brand new junk from places like Ikea. They buy a new couch for $500........buy some cheap material from JoAnn's.........and then pay me to put it on. Now, they have over $1500 tied up in a couch that STILL isn't worth their original $500 investment.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban