Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 11:21:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Snow

Started by gene, February 09, 2013, 06:16:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I hope all you upholsterers in the North East are doing OK with this current snow storm. I just read almost 700,000 folks are without electricity.

Here's one persons' thoughts posted on youtube before the storm hit. (This guy is a very funny professional comedian, by the way.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

I'm sure some of you brought a few 'light upholstery projects' home to work on

Here in South West Ohio we've got temperatures back down in the 20's (Fahrenheit for those of you in the world who refuse to use the American antiquated system of taking temperature), but no snow. I think we hit 60 degrees just a few days ago.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

Quotewe've got temperatures back down in the 20's

Is that your overnight low? Or your daytime high?

Here in south west Manitoba (Brandon, for those whose maps extend past the 49th) , we're having a nice heat wave. For a couple of hours yesterday we were above freezing. The 2 o'clock news said +2C or 34F. I just flipped my thermometer over to F. 16 *at 10:30 and suppost to get halfway to melting this afternoon.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

February 09, 2013, 10:11:41 am #2 Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:12:50 am by Mike
I feel for you guys but i dont want  to get in trouble so im keeping my mouth shut.

sofadoc

I've always wondered how my business would fare in a norhtern climate. Around here, people hunker down and don't leave the house when we have a few days in the 40's. We go stir crazy if our version of "winter" extends beyond Dec/Jan.

Of course, we have our huge A/C units cranking full blast from April thru September. But at least when it's hotter 'n hell, people still get their couch recovered. I can't imagine customers in these parts giving a red rectum about their sofa when it's below freezing for a long stretch.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I lived for a couple of years in Appleton, WI (just inland from Green Bay).  Probably not as cold as Manitoba, but there were always one or two weeks that never got above 0 F, day or night.  Snow started around the end of October and didn't let up until April.   You HAD to get out during those six months of winter or you got cabin fever.   Skiing, snow-mobiling, ice fishing, whatever -- outside.    I can remember X-country skiing in just a sweater and hat (well, and pants), after a few minutes, I'd need to take off my gloves.   

My eldest daughter lives about 4 hours north of there in the Keewenaw Peninsula of MI.  It doesn't get that cold there.  They are sort of in the center of Lake Superior.   They average 15 feet of snow a year (third snowiest city in the USA, including Alaska).  Here's a video of a recent drive around her neighborhood.   She lives uphill a couple of streets from the end of the video.  Yes, people get out there in the winter.

http://vimeo.com/58842720

Quote from: sofadoc on February 09, 2013, 10:45:05 am
I've always wondered how my business would fare in a norhtern climate. Around here, people hunker down and don't leave the house when we have a few days in the 40's. We go stir crazy if our version of "winter" extends beyond Dec/Jan.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

up in new Hampshire wew used to put the boats away in October then the hard part waiting for ice and snow usualy not till January  then I had a lot of fun snowmobiling here me and my brother in one a with some friends on the lake

west coast

My brother is on the south shore in Nova Scotia and they have been hammered. The storm surge and wind was incredible, I have seen some pics of 5th wheels flipped on their sides boats sunk and some total destruction of buildings and businesses. I know its bad elsewhere and I feel for everyone but when its family you tend to concentrate your thoughts for them. I almost feel guilty sitting here on the west coast and having the flowers starting to open and the plum trees beginning to bloom, oh and did I mention the baby lambs are now being born which is the best sign of approaching spring I know of. Take care all you easterners spring is on its way and you are in my thoughts.

Mike

What do you all think about the weather. Hannel declaring tgere number one in meteroligly  ang going to start naming einter storms like the national hurricane center?

Mike

The thing that used to drive me nuts was even going outside meant little paths a path to the trash a path to the mailbox and driveway. And one around the houseget out of the path and you had to have  boots

Darren Henry

QuoteHere's a video of a recent drive around her neighborhood.

Thanks for sharing that Keith. You're right---that's a whack of snow. I'm glad I'm far enough away from the great lakes to avoid that lake effect snow. We've had 70-90 cm of snow around here or about 2 1/2-3 feet and it seems like alot (not a record, but above average). Temperature wise; I'd say we're comparable. Brandon is only 60 miles north of the border and Kenora Ont. is even closer .

BTW Are stops signs optional in WI? Or is that just the editing?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

February 10, 2013, 10:14:07 am #10 Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:16:19 am by byhammerandhand
I think it's the editing.   It's in Houghton and Hancock Michigan.  January was slightly below average with 67 inches of snow.  http://www.mtu.edu/alumni/favorites/snowfall/snowfall.html

In Houghton (the south shore of Portage Lake) the downtown area has about 3 blocks of steep grade perpendicular to the main drag.   "Downhill traffic has right of way,"  I think.

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 10, 2013, 08:19:25 am
QuoteHere's a video of a recent drive around her neighborhood.

BTW Are stops signs optional in WI? Or is that just the editing?

Grab a pasty and pass the ketchup, eh.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

February 11, 2013, 03:54:18 pm #11 Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:57:32 pm by Darren Henry
You lifers are probably tired of this vid, but thought I'd post it again for the new members and to see how fast June can dive into 4 sweaters and her hot tub  ;D

QuoteIt's in Houghton and Hancock Michigan

Sorry Keith; Typo; I meant MI.

Mike

you guys talk funny  ;D

JuneC

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 11, 2013, 03:54:18 pm
You lifers are probably tired of this vid, but thought I'd post it again for the new members and to see how fast June can dive into 4 sweaters and her hot tub  ;D

Now Darren....  I've seen snow exactly once in my life and I was 45 at the time.  Haven't seen it since.  :P  The pics and video's are sure pretty though.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

seeing snow id nice june when I was a kid I lived in California near LA you could see mount baldy in the distance with a snow covered cap I remember one day we went up for a day trip to play in the snow   but got to go home to warm weather that day  but it living it that gets to your day in day out shoveling plowing cleaning your roof off from the weight and the heat on in the house 24/7  go from the car into the house I rmeber sitting at my pc desk on the front entry hall with a cold draft freezing my feet at night .  :'(