Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:09:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

2 machines one table/motor?

Started by cthomps, February 04, 2013, 06:00:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

I have a Singer 20U that I use for production of a product.  I use it about 4 months out of the year.  I am thinking about buying a Consew 146RB to use the rest of the year.  Is it possible to change out the heads, but use the same servo and table?  Im trying to save space and $'s.  I will eventually set up both machines, but for now I am wondering if it would work and b worth the hassle.  Thanks  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Darren Henry

As long as the two beds are the same size and have the same type of hinge pins in the same place it's a 30 second swap  over.I'm not familiar with the Consew but I remember the singer being a fairly wide bed.Worst case scenario; you'd have to modify your table one time to receive either head.No big deal.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Grebo

February 05, 2013, 06:02:27 am #2 Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:04:33 am by Grebo
Yes, just check your sizes as Darren said & make sure the foot lifts the same way, knee or foot peddle.
I do that with one of my tables, one machine stays put (knee lift) 90% of the time, the other has it's own little motor attached ( domestic style) so it's just a straight swap over. The 'little one' doesn't even hinge in but just sits in the hole resting on the corner supports.  :-X  Works for me  ;D

Suzi

Bob T

I do it all the time with my Bernina 217  and Juki 563. The Bernina foot knee lift is part of the machine, so on the Juki I do the hand lift.  The only difference is there is a V-belt specific to each head.  Works great!

lamx

It depends on which 20U you have. The 206RB-5 has a 18 7/8" bed.  My 20U-33 has a 15 5/8" bed. The 20U-51, -53, -62, and -63 have a 15.72" bed.  The 20U-142 and -143 have a 18 6/8" bed.  If you have the longer bed 20U, 1/8" difference in bed length should not be a problem. If you have one of the shorter ones, it will require modification.

Motor will not be a problem, but you might need different belts. I have 3 tables and 9 heads I swap regularly, depending on what I'm sewing. It always requires a belt swap and a motor height adjustment. It would probably make more sense to have a proper size belt with each head and swapping would be an easier task.

My 20U-33 is the only short bed machine and it resides in it's own table. I used to have a Singer 95-10 that also used that table, but upgraded to a 96-10 which is the same machine with the longer bed.

Ed

baileyuph

Like Darrer said, should be doable.

I have two singers, one walker and other drop feed (non walker) and I can switch heads because of equal bed size.  There are a couple adjustments I have to make, one is the belt adjustment (actually adjust motor) and the other is the bobbin winder.

Doyle