Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 03:35:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

paypal?

Started by Mike, February 02, 2013, 10:31:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

those of you who make online sales with paypal  what is your experience vs a normal credit charge? any pluses or minuses?

Mojo

I use Paypal exclusively for CC transactions. I have made hundreds of transactions and never encountered a problem. The only issue I have ever had was having a couple senior customers who did not have a Paypal account. They paid via check.

Other then that I love the service. I only pay for transaction fees and there is no monthly service charge. They now have a remote CC swiper service as well.

Chris

timtheboatguy

Mike,
During winterizing season I bill most of my customers with paypal. I like that I can email them the invoice through paypal making it easy for them to pay me.

The only issue I have had was when a older cutomer paid me for service and when the bill came on his credit card statement the next month, he did not recognize paypal as it did not mention my business name so he called Visa and stopped payment. This caused a chargback to my account. I called the guy and he apologized and brought a check by my house right away.

So now I remind my elderly customers in advance that the charge on their cc statement will be to paypal.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

have only got paid by paypal a  couple times selling some motorcycle seats on ebay years ago. is this the  same for you chris with paymeny not showing to you but paypal instead? I noticed on your site chris how does one make and pay for a order
paypay may be easier then taking a card number over the phone and safer

Mojo

Mike:

I have no way of putting an order form on my website. It is so involved when someone places an order with me. You would not believe the conversations I have ( either over the phone or via e-mail ) with customers on a single slide topper. What type of awning / topper do you have ? Carefree ? Zip Dee ? Girard ? A & E ? What model awning is it ? Omega ?? SOK I, II or III, What year is your coach ? What color fabric do you have ? What is the length ? What is the width ? What is the measurement from one polyrod to the other polyrod...........etc.....etc.......LOL.

I just did a $ 1.5 million dollar Newell coach that had four different brands of awnings, slide toppers on it. I had to visit the owner and go over everything myself because it was so complicated. he had no idea what the hell he had for toppers or awnings.

Typically they e-mail me with the request, I get a few questions answered and if need be I send them color swaths via e-mail. I have done so many now ( hundreds and hundreds ) that I know the color schemes of the coaches, the exact measurements of every slide topper or awning that all they have to do is get close and I can make it exact. But it typically means me questioning them a little to get the info I need.

My customers love Paypal because they can use any credit card they want or they can use their checking account or their Paypal balance. They also like the idea that their purchase is protected by Paypal. I typically transfer money once a month from my Paypal account to my checking account.

Chris

fragged8

we did 5000 parcels on ebay last year Mike almost all of them using paypal and the service
was smooth.
The charges can be steep for some transactions and paypal don't make it that easy to work out exactly what
you will be charged for cross border transactions but that wouldn't affect you ?

i think you have an iphone don't you Mike ?
have a look at this

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

2,7% charge though

rich

Mike

Ive hot swuare now rich its about the same fee per swipe bt more if the sard isnt present wich is the case olfor a sale across states.

regalman190

Just received an email from Paypal. They now offer a card reader like Square. 2.7% and no fees, Apparently it can take checks as well, funds are available same day and it goes directly to your Paypal account.

Regal Canvas

sofadoc

Quote from: regalman190 on February 13, 2013, 10:02:33 am
Just received an email from Paypal. They now offer a card reader like Square. 2.7% and no fees, Apparently it can take checks as well, funds are available same day and it goes directly to your Paypal account.
I got the same e-mail. It's the same as the link Rich posted. But does it ONLY accept credit cards that are tied to a Paypal account? Or will it accept any credit card?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

regalman190

I guess it takes any credit card as well as Paypal.

I like Square Up since the funds go directly into my business account the next day. No need to transfer funds from PayPal.

The fees are the same, both for swiped cards and entered cards.
Regal Canvas

gene

February 13, 2013, 04:02:46 pm #10 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:04:10 pm by gene
I just got an email from Quickbooks. You can sign up and when you send out Invoices via email, they include a button that will allow the customer to pay with their checking account. It's 50 cents per transaction no matter what the amount billed. No monthly fee. It doesn't say if there is a set up fee.

I don't see a lot of people wanting to put their checking account number and routing number on emails. Maybe that's why it's so cheap.

It also says most payments up to $15000 are deposited into your own bank account by the next day.

I may do the credit card thing this year to see if it helps increase sales. I'm not sure if it will.Maybe not tell my existing customers who are comfortable with paying by check?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Many people like to with a CC. It builds miles, point or whatever. Why not give them all the option. I just looked at Paypal's reader and it looks like it is a bit cheaper percentage than Square Up. I have square and might make the switch to PP. These things are great as you have no monthly fees.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

February 13, 2013, 06:16:19 pm #12 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:37:31 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: gene on February 13, 2013, 04:02:46 pm
I may do the credit card thing this year to see if it helps increase sales.
I've been accepting CC's for about 15 years now. The main thing I've observed, is that upholstery is NOT an impulse buy. People don't just go boppin' down the street, and say "Hey, I got a credit card. I think I'll get my couch recovered".
Upholstery is something that customers save up for.

For my business, they don't increase sales the conventional way. You don't necessarily get more clients just because you accept credit cards. But the customers that you DO get are less likely to dicker with you over price.
You tell them how much.......and they plunk down the plastic without any negotiating.

So if you're looking for a bigger 'head count', you may be disappointed. But credit cards can go a long way in increasing your leverage with a customer.

And also, customers are less likely to 'jerk you around' for a week or two. They pay up immediately, if they have the CC option.

Quote from: MinUph on February 13, 2013, 05:56:32 pm
These things are great as you have no monthly fees.
With my CC processor, I do have monthly fees, but I only pay 1.2%. So it works out about the same as Square or PP.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

February 13, 2013, 06:25:29 pm #13 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:38:19 pm by Mike
regal were do yopu see the same charge for swipe or entered?  I have a bit higher charge for entered, but I  do like right to my bank.  paul when I was in NH I had a younger working clientel who used there CC here in FL ive not had much of any interest in CC's all simply break out the checkbook.
gene I was just talking yesterday that that's one thing we don't have redily available yet the ability to receive a check by phone like big companies all want. but I got to wonder how much problems there will be with peoples card number on paper just tossed out not shreaded or burnt laying around.  
ya sofa I used to have cardservive or somebody had to have a landline and close out at the end of the day had to pass a credit also. wich I thought odd as I dont want credit im doing then    the favor  . not anybody can get square no credit check easy as pie and no equipment to rent

ps one new thing I like is banks depositing a check by taking a photo of it and using the app now if I get a check at the end of the day I can deposite it with my phone upill 6pm after bank hours and get it in a on tomorows balance rather then to have to wait till tomorrow and then another day for the funds

regalman190

Mike...I meant the fees for swiped or entered are the same for PayPal and Square up. 2.7% or 2.75% if swiped.  3.5% + .15 if entered.
I like no contract and no monthly fees. You pay only when you use it.
Regal Canvas