Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 11:32:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

empty thread tubes....

Started by Mike, January 31, 2013, 04:08:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

screwed to the table edge make great scissor holder butting them close at hand

anyone else do this?

sofadoc

That's not a bad idea. Every time I throw one of those tubes away, I try to think of a good use for it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JDUpholstery

good tip...might save a couple for that...I normally give them to schools for craft projects

Mojo

Quote from: JDUpholstery on January 31, 2013, 04:30:48 pm
good tip...might save a couple for that...I normally give them to schools for craft projects

I give all tubes and scraps to my wifes high school art department.

Great idea though Mike.

Chris

Grebo

Nice idea, but I prefer to keep them on my tool belt.  ;D

Suzi

timtheboatguy

Great idea Mike, and also Suzi's keeping them on her belt. Everytime I reach for my sissors they are on the opposite side of my oversized sewing table and I have to jog two miles to fetch them!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

that's why I put one on each side tim

Darren Henry

QuoteI have to jog two miles to fetch them!

Like Suzi; I carry my basic kit [staple puller/side cutters/tape measure/scissors/tack hammer] on a tool apron { It's a very manly blue sunbrella---so it's all good } , But I cut the flared portion off of a tube and flattened it with my heat gun to line the scissor pocket. i use my 8" scissors while sewing---my thigh says "Thank you".
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

timtheboatguy

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 01, 2013, 04:03:33 pm
QuoteI have to jog two miles to fetch them!

Like Suzi; I carry my basic kit [staple puller/side cutters/tape measure/scissors/tack hammer] on a tool apron { It's a very manly blue sunbrella---so it's all good } , But I cut the flared portion off of a tube and flattened it with my heat gun to line the scissor pocket. i use my 8" scissors while sewing---my thigh says "Thank you".

I have been thinking that I need to get more efficient and this is a great way to move in that direction. Does the apron get in the way when your sitting down at your machine?  Any pics of that tool apron?

Also, I'm thinking I need a separate apron for installing snaps when I fit a cover. Sorry for getting way off topic.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

that is a problem tim snaps id think a apreon would be a problem sitting down too but I used to be in construction and I recall when srewing drywall near the floor id get on one knee and the pocket on the one side would tip up and screws would fall out .
I can see the same thing when I kneeling on the bow od a cruiser install snap on a front window or id be concerned leaning in tight spat or hanging on the side of a boat. I see some big boat here and have to get in some slippery spots on the front of a bridge or on a hardtop.
I have always use small tackle storage boxes something like this

having a sport shop when I started they were readily available  glus some non skid to the bottom cause they like to slide on a smooth glass deck or canvas top and a rocking boat

jojo

Tim, I have a nail apron that I got at Home Depot for $1.00, and it's invaluable for installing boat covers!

JDUpholstery

for my commonly used shears I wear a belt holster, but my sewing machine shears I like the tube idea because I am the worlds worst at leaving the machine with them in my hand and setting them down wherever then wondering who moved my scissors when I need them!

For the scissor holster I got a cheaper curling iron cover from dollar general and sewed a belt loop onto it...if I remember I will take a picture tomorrow

Darren Henry

This is too funny. I went out to the shop yesterday (Saturday) and finally finished off the little rocker for my grand niece. I was about to move my apron out of the frame when I took my "after" picture and thought better of it. Some day the subject of my apron may come up on the board,might as well kill two birds with one stone I said.

Yeah, I know I'm due for a new one. I can assure you though the shoemaker's kid always runs around barefoot. I have a thread spool cut down and flattened with a heat gun inside the scissor pocket.As you can tell by the patches---I should have used a longer one.Other than that sitting is not a problem. My first couple of aprons were made from Vintex/Herculite/ what ever you call it locally. Very sweaty in the summer. Sunbrella ones like this are far more comfortable.If I had to suffer the heat you Floridians put up with I'd use heavy gauge mesh for the "body" of it.

I too use a nail apron for snaps; but as Mike pointed out , you need to decide when to wear it and when to set it down beside you.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JDUpholstery

so got a picture taken of my scissor holster...like I said its cheap dollar general curling iron cover, sewn to allow belt attachment and sewn to keep the scissors in securely

Mike

I think the snap apron would be good drreninstalling a cober on a trailered boat you v
can walk around snapping but I find myself always trying to install snaps on a cover while the boats on a lift  from in the boat on the boat somtine sitting on the lift on a beam over the water ect not wasy  Monday I have to pattern one on a 26 regal