Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 09:22:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

One For the Marine Folks

Started by Mojo, January 30, 2013, 06:54:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was wondering what size seam tape most of you guys and gals use on your acrylics ?
I ordered 4 rolls from MiamiMike a year ago and am about through all of those. I have been using 3/8 " tape.

Do they make a wider tape ? 1/2 " maybe ??

I had a helluva time finding it on Miami's web site. Turns out they call it adhesive transfer tape and not seam tape. I use it on my center seams on large awnings and it has worked out pretty good for me but would prefer something wider if they have it. Miami does not carry any other sizes, just 3/8 ".

Thanks,

Chris

timtheboatguy

They do make it in 1/2". I seldom use seam tape, but I have 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 on hand. I believe I got the 1/2" tape from Wholesale USA in St.Louis.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Yes some call it seam tape other transfer tape. I use it for patterning holding the plastic to the frames and. Oat. 1/4" i find to skinny less sticky surface in wind. I like the 3/8".   1/2"
Used in sewm somtime shows for me when i use it As su h

JDUpholstery

you can get 1/2" from sail-rite...but 3/8 is better like mike, I dont like when I get it off track and it shows...that 1/8" on a 1/2" seam helps keep it inside the allowance. I rarely actually use seam tape unless I am doing a full flat felled seam...then it just helps!

JuneC

I never use it anymore.  I've yet to find one that will actually stick to Sunbrella really well except when you don't need it to.  Small canvas work doesn't really require seam tape and on large canvas pieces, it doesn't hold due to the weight of the canvas.  I like staples.  They work like a champ but for awnings, tape helps keep the water out so I can understand wanting to use it.  1/2" is available all over the place, but watch out for less-than-stellar performance on the adhesive - even for tapes listed as made for canvas work.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

I'm with June---staples are better. On our awnings we run a thin bead of latex glue (like you'd use for gimp) in the salvage and run it out with my finger before I top stitch to help seal the seam.We had two complaints of leaks last year and both times they had the awning on backwards. Instead of the water running across the top stitching and dropping onto the other piece of fabric it ran into the seam and couldn't jump up onto the other piece fast enough.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I use 3/8ths on all of my seams. I use a simple fell seam which is 98 % as strong as the fabric itself. I believe flat seams are 90 %. But as Darren stated I make dang sure the seam lip has the run off going in the right direction. I have never had a complaint of leakage.

Interestingly, during one of my seminars that I did in Tampa with Steve, the head of Sattler North America, he indicated to me later on that testing done showed that the needle holes created during stitching acrylics actually sealed themselves within a month or two from dirt, pollution, etc.

I believe some use the seam tape to hold the two halves together. I use it to seal the needle holes and the seam itself. I get by with the 3/8th's but would prefer 1/2 ".

Chris

Mike

thebest tape I used is called Venture tape I only use the tape for patterning to its no big deal but it was very sticky I think john boyle used to have it (trivantage) or maybe it was manfart hirsh?

forsailbyowner

Last tape I got from manart fl was chinese look alike stuff that couldn't hold a candle to venture tape. Can only speak of the fl office which seems to be a bastardized version of the main office. They don't stock much from the catalog and couldn't even send me a price sheet for estimating because " the prices change to fast". Funny how they're other office can.

Mike

Quote from: forsailbyowner on February 06, 2013, 06:07:33 pm
couldn't even send me a price sheet for estimating because " the prices change to fast". Funny how they're other office can.
ya I got the same thing I wanted to be able to compare I was told to save  my invoices to see I wanted to know n stuff I hadn't ordered without asking    and the attitude  ???
if we ever met what a story I could tell you  :o

regalman190

February 07, 2013, 05:59:00 am #10 Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:02:13 am by regalman190
I use 3/8 and 1/4 "high tack" from Trivantage. They also have 1/2". Pricing is good.

3/8 for seams if needed and 1/4 for sewing zippers on. I use the seam tape whenever I'm sewing through a bimini or camper top. Especially with zippers. First it helps keep them in place while sewing and second it helps seal the needle holes. I also use it when I pattern enclosures.

I use staples when I'm sewing long seams, like on a cockpit cover or mooring cover. The trick there is to remember to remove them before you top sew.

Regal Canvas

jojo

I get mine from Sailrite. I do like to use tape on big pieces of Sunbrella. It works great for me; not meant to be a super strong bond, but it holds it together fine until the seam is sewn.

raindodger

I like the "canvas" seam tape that sailrite sells (their part# 129).  Seems to work much better on sunbrella than any seam tape that I have tried from any of my suppliers.  Sometimes its a real time saver. sometimes its a real pain in the ass.

Like others have mentioned, I use 3/8" on seams, and 1/4" for zippers.  never tried 1/2"

fragged8

I use venture tape in the Uk ,, ,sticks like Billyo
I stock 1/2 and 1/4 for zips . you can get 1" wide because i had some once
and maybe even wider.