Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 11:20:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing logos in upholstery

Started by JDUpholstery, January 21, 2013, 01:59:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JDUpholstery

this is my first attempt to do some custom free hand work on upholstery...actually I guess it is my second because it took me 2 tries to get it right (well right enough I can live with it)

I took a rubbing of the logo off an old Ford Tractor, then transferred it to the vinyl so I could sew it.

this is going into an late 60's Ford truck, it was definitely a trick and hope that one day I can master this particular art form

Mike

looks good had to take some time (patients)

Darren Henry

Nice job;as usual  8)

Back in my former life; that was one of the training exercises for young cobblers and those who planned on going to the fitting room to make uppers. "Write your name, using the patcher", "lay down this pattern on the shafts of western boots". And we didn't have to content with foam.

Chaulk lines get a little vague unless you sharpen your chaulk constantly.There is a silver inked pen refill available through shoe findings suppliers that is removable(most of the time).You can also make a pounce pattern and transfer it in powdered chaulk.Personally; I prefer to lay out my pattern with a sharp pencil(or printed off) on paper and attach my "stencil" to the vinyl/leather with rubber cement. It has enough tack to hole the paper steady but peels off and cleans easily once done.

Courtesy of Mr. Walter Afanasiev, Master shoe maker. R.I.P
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

January 22, 2013, 04:16:53 am #3 Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:17:14 am by Mojo
It is very tough to do. We had a guy on here named Stitcher Guy ( Russ ) who was phenomenal at doing customer raised stitching like that ( flames, initials, etc. ) .

But he even admitted on some high end jobs he took the fabric to a local embroiderer to have the logos stitched in contrasting colors.

I tried it once and failed and never had the time to go back and try it again. You did a good job for just starting out. It looks very good. :)

Chris

JDUpholstery

January 27, 2013, 10:59:52 am #4 Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:11:30 pm by JDUpholstery
still not quite finished with these seats...I shorted myself material by making mistakes patterning the custom job...anyhow this gives an idea of my concept

should be done early this week once material arrives...I hope I dont make any more mistakes!

JuneC

Nice!  Did you do the quilting or did you purchase quilted fabric?  Looks to me like you did it since most factory quilting doesn't have that kind of loft. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

JDUpholstery

I did the quilting myself...took a while, but the look of hand crafted over machined is worth it IMO, thanks June

JDUpholstery

got the job finished today...

the door panels I used 1/4" foam instead of half inch for the quilting so it had less loft and fit the space better while still retaining a strong quilt, also spruced them up with some Satin Black SEM color coat

so the final look that was achieved

timtheboatguy

Very Nice!

Looks like your about to get your hands dirty on some pontoon seats next.  ;D
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

JDUpholstery

The pontoon seats are a week away...I could do it myself but a friend of mine is a starving cabinet maker...so I am having him rebuild the bases for me, then I will get to upholstering them...in the meantime this week I have a complete recliner recover and 2 recliner warranty repair jobs to keep me busy...thanks