Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 07:23:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tenax fastners

Started by Mike, January 20, 2013, 07:18:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I just looked at a job that has tenax fastners is anyone familiar with then i see perfect fit has them how are they installed with a special tool or can it be done with normal tools i inly need 24 and ill never again see any.

Darren Henry

I'd try J Ennis fabrics on line.I've seen their listing but can't remember how much narrative there was regarding installation or tools required. Their U.S outlet is in Indianapolis.

Other thing you might try is a PM to Rich or any of the other members "across the pond". Tenax fasteners were pretty common on the old Brit sports car's tonneau (sp?) covers.

I vaguely remember a punch similar to the one for turn buckles to cut the centre hole and four slits to mount the female side of the fasteners.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I had to go look them up. never heard of them before. You marine people use the strangest things.  :o     :P

Dang Mike, those things are expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=tenax+fastener&LH_PrefLoc=1

Chris

JuneC

I've only ever seen them in catalogs.  Never actually encountered any or a requirement to use them.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

January 22, 2013, 09:21:16 am #4 Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:25:05 am by Grebo
I use them from time to time.

No special tools needed. You can get a tenax 'key' which is just a small two pronged 'screw driver' to turn them. Just punch a snug hole & screw-en up !
Handy as you can easily reuse them if need be. Just give them a polish up.  :P

http://www.kayospruce.com/index.asp?selection=find&cct=0  These prices are public.  ;)
Darn, if link doesn't take you to the page, just type in Tenax.

DH I think you are thinking of the turn buttons.  ::)

Suzi

Darren Henry

Those are the ones I was thinking of except that the "button" is radically different. The ones I have seen use the same stud, but the button was more like the grommet and washer you would use with a turn buckle. they were about that thickness and roughly 20mm squares.

I'll take a look after chores and see if my Eiderdown is here or in the motorhome. It uses them. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Suzi im thinking of trying to remove snd reuse the current one in the old canvas

Darren Henry

I found the ones I was thinking of in Jackson's catalog. Page 95 , the ones you show are new to me and on page 94.

Now I have to figure out how to post this PDF file.

SOD that!!!! watch for PM Suzi. Please post. You are much brighter than I am at this stuff.

Darren Henry

Now I'm officially postal. If anyone is curious enough google george n jackson . open the PDF catalog and see pages 94 and 95. >:( >:(

Mike

page 94 that's them darren

Grebo

Pg. 95 is the 'Original' Lift the dot, yes they do really need a special cutter otherwise you can make the slits to big to easy, closer isn't necessary, I use a screw driver & fold the tabs over.
Also reusable if the tabs haven't had a rough life.  ;D

Pg. 94. Mike there should be two little holes in the 'washer' holding the top on. Use some circlip pliers as Rich mentioned, or make your self a key. I used to use an old pair of thread snips. If it's tight you might need a squirt of WD 40 or something to get it going, they unscrew.

Suzi

fragged8

Quote from: Grebo on January 24, 2013, 05:47:17 am
Pg. 95 is the 'Original' Lift the dot, yes they do really need a special cutter otherwise you can make the slits to big to easy

before i had the cutters i would sharpen an electrical screwdriver and tap that to make the leg holes, I used the washer
as a template. saved cutting the holes too big

Hows sewing in the Big Top going Grebo ?

Rich

Grebo

Don't f'cking go there.  ???

It's all got paws up, moved the whole kit & caboodle up stairs into the unfinished top floor of the house.
Now to got re negotiate the rent  >:(

Suzi

Mike

Fyi efore i had the propoer cutters for turnbutton grometts i eould msrk where it had to go and you could just press hard on the fabric poking it through sunbrella ou id touch it with the side of mu hotknife blade to open the hole then id melt out the crnter hole last   With a soldering iron point a lift the dot wouod  work also.

Mike

I finally got around to them today they  came right out my plyer were to fat for the little holes  rich but sicsors pointy tips worked