Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 10:24:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sew foam and scrim

Started by JuneC, January 18, 2013, 08:39:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you like your scrim?

stretchy
1 (100%)
little or no stretch
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

JuneC

Personally I like mine stretchy since it needs to "give" with the vinyl during installation.  But one of my suppliers says his other customer love his new sew foam with the un-stretchy scrim. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I like what i seen called trico.backed s soft usualy brown cloth.
The larver white open weave mesh i dont like as much.

Darren Henry

I agree with June. Physics dictates that it should behave exactly the same as the vinyl it is working in concern with.

Quoteone of my suppliers says his other customer love his new sew foam

[shrug] You were expecting him to say "I'm stuck with a bunch of this stuff I got cheap and my kid needs braces" [shrug]  :D
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Rich

I'm very careful when I order my 1/2" backed foam (Three Rivers, Homestead PA) since in the past I've had problems with the scrim backed foam. I work almost exclusively in vinyl and b/c of the surface sheen, any discrepancies in the foam show. Since the foam is rolled scrim side out, it causes the backing to buckle when laid flat and the resulting wrinkles show through the vinyl. I ask for a 2 way stretch backing and have no problems.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

JuneC

Well that's just the thing.  If you glue or sew your sewfoam to vinyl, it either buckles or won't stretch enough if the scrim won't move.  Inside curves are darn near impossible to get smooth if the scrim has no stretch.  If you do the math, with 1/4" sewfoam, on a 10" radius inside curve, the outer edge (the scrim) is probably an inch longer (ok, I didn't do the math, but you know what I mean) than the vinyl face.  If you make them both the same length, the vinyl is going to wrinkle.  Some of this can be combated by stretching the vinyl while attaching the foam, but you're screwed if the scrim doesn't give. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

January 19, 2013, 04:37:46 pm #5 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:17:12 pm by MikeM8560
I usualy will glue thebfaom to the vinyl not alway with sewfoam just 1/2" foam. But if i use sew foam on a inside curve as your talking june. I glue the backing to the vinyl streachy ive had even streachy cause winkles if glues (vinyl foam backing ) if the cloth is with the vinyl then the raw foam will curve prolerly. Know what i meen?

Edited

baileyuph

Mike, good point to bring up, placing foam cloth to backside of material being sewn (ie. vinyl).  I say that because newer automobiles are doing some of their (I would say most but haven't verified the situation) interiors that way and it works out fine over time.  Most is somewhere in the 14 inch thickness.

Just a few years ago when first noticing this, I scratched my head a good while realizing why it was that way.

It pays its dividends because there is a lot of changes in the higher tech auto seats. 

Keeping up with advanced technology is an avenue that isn't easy to find.  It would be nice to get into the heads of the seat builders, who contract to the car manufacturers.

They are soooo goood!

Doyle