Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 09:30:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

vinyl question

Started by gene, December 30, 2012, 10:42:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Howdy,

It there a way to get finger nail marks off of vinyl?

I was stretching a vinyl cover over a wood frame and my finger nails dug into the vinyl and they left marks, or scratches, on the vinyl.

Thank you,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Gene,
  Not that I'm aware of if they scratched the surface. You might try Amoral.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Rich

An upholsterer who still has his fingernails? I keep biting mine.
Heat is the only possible I can think of for this Gene, if they didn't actually puncture the vinyl, it will ease them out somewhat, but if the surface has become scuffed, it won't come out.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

zanepurcell

gene,

I know you are stubborn, but the Lee Press-on Nails just arent in your best interest when you are working.

Zane

kodydog

Zane, I thought that was just a rumor.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Jim101

We use a lot of vinyl but it's usually the 18 ounce type  for tarps, and just about anything else people want to waterproof or divert water away from kind of stuff with.

Occasionally we get orders for the big truck tarps and we drag the material out to the street to cut it and the asphalt will leave black marks all over the place. 

Not a problem for dark color tarps but when the marks get on the white tarps we use the hand cleaner "Go-Jo" to clean them up.

The vinyl sealer works pretty well for covering up marks if they're not too deep or too bad.

Mike

Quote from: Rich on December 30, 2012, 03:42:57 pm
Heat is the only possible I can think of for this Gene, if they didn't actually puncture the vinyl, it will ease them out somewhat, but if the surface has become scuffed, it won't come out.
Rich
id try heat also and a rag to smooth it.  me I cut my nails a lot with my shears

NDAV8R

Quote from: MikeM8560 on December 31, 2012, 07:29:06 pm
Quote from: Rich on December 30, 2012, 03:42:57 pm
me I cut my nails a lot with my shears

...I don't bite or cut mine, they get worn down! ;)
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

sofadoc

Quote from: MikeM8560 on December 31, 2012, 07:29:06 pm
me I cut my nails a lot with my shears
I do that too. But I end up only trimming the nails on my left hand, because I can't operate a pair of shears left-handed. People often wonder why my left hand is so well manicured, while the nails on my right hand look like they belong in the Guinness book. :o
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

you know im a lefty sort of in I write left handed but I hold shears in the rigjht had it is more difficult to trim my right hand as a kit id hat righty and ill swing a hammer right handed id golf righty kich a ball with my right foot but painting a wimdow frame ill cut in the sash with my left hand using a paint roller in go lefty that is with my left hand forward and right hand on the end of the stick I used to do plastering and exterior stucco and id hold the trowel in my left hand so anything intricate I like my left hand wich it good guiding fabric under the needle. so in mostly a righty good thing when I had my stroke it affected my right side not my left side  presison