Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:09:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

This one is Designed for MoJo

Started by baileyuph, December 30, 2012, 10:38:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Mojo, Chris, that is;  simple question for your background.

If someone had a small business, upholstering of a sort, that steady progress has been made as accumulated experience was realized.  Now, after all that over a period of time, the objective is to grow, but slowly because money is limited.

What would be the smart way to market something that could be standardized to speed up cutting and sewing?

There are a lot of products small shop owners could get into, for example reproduction of a popular car/truck seat or?  But, again, what one does isn't the issue necessarily; instead if one wanted to market it outside a local market how would the suggestion be described.

Understanding how busy you are, apology is made if the scope is too large to jump into.

Doyle

Mojo

Doyle:

I guess the best way to answer is to use myself as the subject matter for this explanation.
THis is going to be a long read so go fill your coffee cup. :)

Part I:

Since the day I started in this business I have always specialized in RV work. Mainly because I own my own coach and I know RV's inside and out. I also enjoy the people within this market segment. I specialized in solar screens, awnings, slide toppers and covers for different RV uses. I started out local and then went National and the path to which I got there was a little by accident as well as strategic marketing. Here is what I did.

1.) Identified my market
2.) Identified my market area ( local, regional or national ).
3.) Developed my product to create quality, value and to set my product apart from the competition. I also spent months researching other products and issues customers had.
4.) Formed strategic relationships to create inroads into my market.
5.) Penetrated my market by reaching out ( advertising, seminars, joining groups and associations of the segment in which I was going to market to. etc. ).
6.) Set realistic goals that would build my business while also controlling growth.
7.) Laid out a strategic 1 year and 3 year plan yet remained ready to tweak it at a moments notice to take advantage of a situation.

To further explain, I identified my market by targeting the high end motorcoach segment in the RV world. Why, because they will pay for quality and most come from professional backgrounds making them less likely to beat you up on price. They also pay their bills on time - everytime. :)

I identified my market area which was regional ( Southeast ). It went National by accident when my name was passed around on an RV forum and I started getting calls from the West Coast. It grew even more when I was asked to attend a Rally and put on a seminar. And after two years it is where it is now with my name and reputation being constantly circulated through numerous motorcoach clubs, RV resort neighbors and motorcoach internet forums.

I first identified where the current problems were with my competitors products and then re-designed that product to separate my product from all the others. The last I checked I am the only one in the USA who makes these toppers and awnings with the materials and techniques I use to promote longevity as well as to prevent sagging and sloppy appearance issues. I hammer this home to potential customers and because I have focused in a high end RV market these customers listen and are all about quality, even if it costs them a premium.

In regards to reaching out to my market I set out and developed strategic relationships with certain associations and have made inroads by developing friendships with the officers of these associations. I actively support these members by performing seminars and free topper awning inspections at their rallys. I also have joined their associations and become a member.

I continually set new goals based on my overall strategic plan that I make every year. I also go back and tweak it and remain flexible while still keeping my base plan in place.

Cont...

Mojo

Part II:

In regards to other markets within this business, lets say car seat covers, I would lay out a strategic plan with realistic goals. I would then identify my market segment ( high end customers, middle of the road serious hobbyists or backyard mechanics ). At this point you need to study, research and identify the best way to reach your market and penetrate it through strategic planning. Do you attend car shows ? Do you get involved by joining auto / hobbyist forums ? Or do you market and sell through venues such as E-bay ? These are all questions that only you can answer. Remember Russ ( Stitcher Guy ) ? He selected the serious classic car hobbyist market and started attending car shows. He marketed his business by handing out fliers and in some cases gave out T shirts and coffee cups and other trinkets. It worked and his name is passed around through car clubs and such. he also got other business through making inroads into this market - regular street cars, motorcycles, etc. I should also mention that Russ has a back ground in marketing as well. Once a marketer - always a marketer. :)

If I was going to get into seat covers I would first identify the products currently available on the market and then find ways to set yours apart from the others. This could be done through the use of special fabric, high quality thread, french seams, etc. Myself I highlight my products through my marketing and advertising by hammering home - quality & durability. I mention in all my product literature - Double stitched perimeters, high end Sattler fabric and the exclusive use of Solarfix thread. These are all selling points and it also allows me to sell at a premium. If a customer comes to me concerned only about price I refer them to my competitors.

There is so much more to relate here but this is pretty much the way I have developed my business. I am busy and am happy with my market but it is scary to think I have only penetrated and touched about 3 - 5 % of the total RV market out there in the USA. If I was 20 years younger and in good health you can bet your rear end that I would go after the other 95 % with a vengeance. I could easily build this into a $ 1/4 million a year business.

If you have more specific questions please ask away. I am always willing to help regardless of how busy I am. So many of you have made the time for me when I needed help and input I feel it is the least I can do.

Hope this helps answer a few of your questions.

Chris

baileyuph

December 31, 2012, 06:55:26 pm #3 Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:39:12 am by DB
Chris,
That was a paramount response to anything I could have dreamed.

I like the way you fabricated a map, one that would take you where you wanted to go and people you wanted to meet.  The plan was well thought out, orchrestrated, and yielding.

The journey, you made it look easy to this point.  But, it is readily apparent it is something you knew you would enjoy.  You were a natural candidate for your endeavor, like a puzzle all your experiences, dreams, ideas, made the picture perfect.

You know, one of the most amazing highlights of this experience is you made it look easy.  Few can do that.

Thanks, the expose was interesting, I know others will enjoy it also.

Big hand clap to you and your wife,

Doyle

Mojo

Thank you Doyle. I really appreciate the kind words.

Unfortunately, in some respects,  I was very good at what I did in my previous career which was making money for others. Looking back I wished I would have taken the time to do the same for myself.

My parting gift I believe will be to bring a young-un in and teach them this business then hand it over to them and let them flourish. I can then return to my traveling. Both of my kids are well established in their own ventures and my son hit millionaire status at the age of 25. He could careless about this business and as long as he pays his annual Daddy Tax I leave him alone. What is funny is I now go to him for advice. :) But I do have a young lady in mind for this that my wife and have friended. She is a workaholic like me, doesn't drink, doesn't mess with drugs, doesn't party and has an extreme focus on her future. More importantly she has the morals and integrity that I value so much in people. I just have the utmost respect for a girl in her 20's who foregoes everything that others her age do and instead works 6 and 7 days a week to get ahead.

My days are long gone for big ventures. I am too old, too sick and prefer to travel more of the world ( and the USA ). I feel blessed for the people who took me under their wing at an early age and schooled me. From my Godfather who was a brilliant business man to the many marketing directors at Fortune 500 companies who provided me with inside knowledge. My life has been one continuos educational experience and thankfully I was a sponge. I lived it, I breathed it and I loved it. :)

I think it is my turn to select a young mind and teach them what has been passed on to me. To pay it forward so to speak. I did this with my son who was also a sponge and started a little computer/tech company for him when he was 14. He is now a very successful business man but more importantly his ethics and integrity as well as his compassion for others is beyond words. It is time to pay it forward to another person.

I just hope what I have posted above is of help to others on here.

There is nothing better then passing on knowledge, be it large or small bits to another who can use it to further their success. Lord knows so many of you have passed on your expertise to many here. :)

Chris