Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 09:31:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

No, I'm not having a remnant sale

Started by sofadoc, December 29, 2012, 09:51:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

The customer wants all 7 of these patterns on ONE wing chair:

She has given me "Carte Blanche" to incorporate them any way I want.
It's my lucky day.......I can't possibly screw this one up!!!

And you thought us Texans weren't design savvy ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

:o Is there a quilting guild in your area?  8)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

a buddy of mine once asked me to make him a tonno cover for his truck you can just use all your scrap pieces and left his truck one day. so I had a nice acrylic that matched his paint nice and it looked good  . he came back and was kinda disappointed he didn't have a patchwork quilt on the bed  I said do you know how much labor that would have been sewing lol  well this guy also had a truck with a bullet vhole he got hunting looked good he sported it like a merit abdge

Mojo

I think I would give the lady her chair and fabric back and tell her to see the Doctor for some Thorazine.

I am hoping your post is an early April fools joke. If not this woman is short a few sandwiches of a picnic.

YIKES........ :o

Chris

kodydog

Any one of those fabrics would look good on a wing chair. But all together? Is this a new trend? Because we had a customer come in with a similar project last month.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

December 29, 2012, 04:40:32 pm #5 Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:48:34 pm by JuneC
It's very trendy right now...

http://www.houzz.com/photos/25910/patchwork-sofa-eclectic-living-room-other-metro

This one's fun too!

http://www.houzz.com/photos/25914/patchwork-sofa-eclectic-living-room-other-metro

If you haven't explored houzz.com, you should take a few minutes.  I love this website.

And...
   http://www.squintlimited.com/range/furniture/

Someone posted Squint some time ago - maybe a few years.  Fun stuff there as well.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

gene

I had a designer show me the squint web site. She likes stuff like that.

I had a customer tell me yesterday she LOVES!!! Restoration furniture. This is the stuff that is only half finished. The backs are open or the wood is really worn on tables. We have a store in town that sells it.

SofaD: here's my thoughts.

Solid fabric for all welt cord, chair and cushion.

Face fabric, with the face side up,  :D, on the inside wings and the front deck. Heads up.

Striped fabric run diagonally on the inside back and the outside back.

One fabric on the left inside arm.

One fabric on the right inside arm.

One fabric on the left outside arm.

One fabric on the right outside arm.

If the chair is 28" wide, for example, cut 7 strips 5" wide, one of each fabric, and sew them together to make the bottom dust cover. You'd hate to put a regular old black cambric on the bottom of such a beautiful piece of furniture.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

One might think that an upholsterer would hate such a project. Not me. No patterns to match. You couldn't do a bad job if you tried.

On this particular chair, I'm not planning on doing any patchwork. Every section will be one entire fabric.
I said that the customer is leaving the fabric placement up to me, but actually she did have one preference. The stripe goes on the inside back, and if possible, inside arms.

I haven't seen the chair yet, but she described it as a wing chair with a loose seat cushion, and a tailored skirt.

I do several pieces a year similar to the squint website that June linked. The only thing I hate about multiple fabric jobs, is when the customer wants me to tell them EXACTLY how much of each fabric to furnish. They act like it's going to bankrupt them if they buy an extra 1/2 yard.

jojo

December 30, 2012, 06:55:52 am #8 Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:58:18 am by jojo
Reminds me of this:

http://s6.postimage.org/fs2qzlgxt/mrfurley.jpg

Or panelling. Or avocado green countertops and harvest gold appliances. You're gonna get sick of it almost immediately, then you're stuck with it.

sofadoc

BLASPHEMY!!
Don Knotts should ONLY be remembered as the great Barney Fife.

When we got tired of harvest gold and avacado green (don't forget the orange shag carpet), at least we could move up to mauve and wedgewood blue.

baileyuph

I reviewed and, ya know, done with right colors and patterns, that stuff ain't half bad!

Something for everybody.  Culture today speaks liking the more ostentatious approaches, look at their body, tatoos, their piercings, should I say more.

To be in, you gotta really separate yourself! 

That's in our culture, for sure.

Doyle

sofadoc

I know that I've posted a lot of strong candidates this past year for "Ugliest Chair Ever", but I think that I finally have a winner:

Darren Henry

Nice work as always Dennis, but DAMN that's some ugly. You'll probably get to redo it once the customer comes down off her LSD trip---I hope you didn't use too many staples LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

One question:  How does this customer dress when out in public?

If you are nostalgic for "When we got tired of harvest gold and avocado green" -- take the tour of Graceland in Memphis.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

zanepurcell

Frankly, it came out looking beautiful and professional. It looks much nicer than I would have ever imagined. It also looks like you put the yarn died material in high wear areas and the prints in areas that are of less consequence. A mark of a true professional.

Zane