Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 09:29:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

an article us marine fabricators should read

Started by forsailbyowner, December 28, 2012, 01:46:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

While I agree with the technical details of the article, in practice it's rarely (if ever) going to happen.  As a fabricator what do YOU do?  Do you "do it right" and charge accordingly?  How many boat owners are willing to pay those prices.  Or do you refuse the work and send the boater on his way? 

Removing core under the deck and reinforcing for bolt-through fastening of snap studs or other fasteners is, in many cases, impossible without separating the hull from the deck or at the very least, removing the salon and cabin headliner to gain access.  The costs associated with doing it right will make most boat owners either write you off as an alarmist who's trying to justify a crazy high estimate, or he'll accept your input and say do it the cheapest way possible with a dab of silicone 'cause I'm going to sell it in a few years anyway. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

I have to agree with June. Unless you are talking about a million dollar yacht I doubt any boat owner would opt for this type of work to have a top installed. Or most any other simple install done. I've used through bolt installs whenever possible for the strength factor. But would not lift the topsides off to install snaps for a top. I wish we all had the clientele to accept this type of work though  ;)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

forsailbyowner

This article sure makes the snads look attractive. After reading this article I came up with the idea of adding a 3rd bow to the dodger to run across the deck and eliminate fasteners in the horizontal part where the coring is.  Even if you can't adhere to Pascoes principals it helps to be aware and minimise if not altogether give up on putting holes in the core. At least many of the boats limit the coring to the horizontal spans and the combings are usually coring free where the majority of snaps are needed. .

Mike

speaking of doing it the hard way I saw a gps antenna installed on a saiboats stern rail. somehow they got the cable from the helm unit down to the floor under the deck to the stern rail mount and into the railing station and over to the horizontal rail where it came out a small holt to the antenna .  I would have wired tied it ti the rail for easei don't know how they got past the internal welds

Tejas

Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

forsailbyowner

Nice page on potting screw holes. Might be worth pointing customers to the yachtsurvey page and offering potted fasteners at a price that makes it worthwhile. Then at least your offering a choice and its themselves they would be cussing down the road if the deck gets soft. I'm rebuilding a boat now that has a failed core. This failure was totally the fault of the manufacterer. Screws abound around the companionway into the coring. It will take removing the outer skin halfway to the mast.

gscmarine

Has anyone used the snads yet with any sucess?

Mike

I havnt tried them but I wonder how wewll they would hold in the florida sun ?
I wouldn't trust on my boat

forsailbyowner

Lol I use my boat for testing canvas ideas and new products. Would definately give the snads a workout. On my next order I think ill buy a 100 pack and see how well they do on a curtain on my enclosure. These get pretty heavy wind loading at times.

fragged8

they cost too much for me to use them in the Uk but I would like to try them..
Rich

Mike

on smaller boat I end up placing a snap on non flat surfaces I dond think they would work well there

Peppy

I bolt when I can, but my arms only have so many elbows.

Quote from: JuneC on December 28, 2012, 03:58:47 pmhe'll accept your input and say do it the cheapest way possible with a dab of silicone 'cause I'm going to sell it in a few years anyway. 

Exactly.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠