Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 10:19:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

White Texas Christmas

Started by sofadoc, December 25, 2012, 03:20:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

It's been 37 years since it snowed here on Xmas day
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SHHR

It's sliding up our way now and should arrive overnight sometime through tommorow. We have in the last few hours been placed under a blizzard warning, and I'm not talking about the type from Dairy Queen.
Kyle

Mike

before  id be out on my snowmobileif the ground was white.
nice neighborhood sofa

JDUpholstery

I got a light dusting of sleet today...but that is it, hope it gets like that overnight, because I like snow!

JDUpholstery

it showed up here last night...this is my enclosed porch after I opened the sliding glass door

looks like Christmas now!

baileyuph

Snow looks nice after the drought we had over the year.  Farmers welcome the moisture.

I am a few hunded miles North of JD and we have not got any snow to speak of, I think there might be a faint trance.

JD, that looks like, what about 4" of snow.  Can't tell because by the sliding door, it seems to be piles higher due to wind drift.

Chris, I hope you in your motor home are safe?  Be careful.

Sofa your snow hasn't been a travel poblem, has it?

Doyle

JDUpholstery

I know it drifted to block the door, was just amused by that, theres about 6" on the rails of steps, was just cool to see some snow, when the day before my son was still wearing shorts!

Mojo

We are loaded and heading back to Florida in about one hour. I checked the forecasts all the way back and outside of some winds and rain everything looks good.

The trip up here was stress inducing. They were the worst winds I have ever driven a coach in. In some areas the gusts supposedly hit 65 mph. Not sure of that but I can tell you it took this Bus and blew it all over. There were no 5th wheels or towable RV's on the road. They were all hunkered down in parking lots ( Walmarts ). It appears there are no forecasts for any of this
down I-95 back home.

2 days and we are back in warm weather. I found out on this trip I am no longer built for cold weather.  :o

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on December 26, 2012, 05:32:53 am
Sofa your snow hasn't been a travel poblem, has it?
It hit yesterday afternoon when no one was on the roads anyway. The main roads are pretty clear today, so I don't think there will be any problems (which means there will probably be a 14 car pile-up every 10 miles).

Meaningful accumulations of snow are so rare around here, the kids are never prepared to play in it. Nobody can remember where they put their gloves.

JDUpholstery

Texans cant remember where their gloves are! or their snow plows! when I used to drive for a living snow would be plowed real nice on the interstate...until you hit the Texas line!

my son is loving it....no it is not this deep, he is on his knees...we got about 6-8 inches last night!

gene

December 26, 2012, 08:10:45 am #10 Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:16:18 am by gene
We got some of that Texas snow here in SW Ohio this morning. A few inches at least. It's enough that I am cancelling my 3:00 appointment with a customer.

I woke up to no electricity. Got out my camp stove and made my coffee.

Our electricity was off for about 3 hours. Not enough to motivate me to buy a generator.

SofaD: I was expecting horses and cacti.  8)

I always find it interesting how we get ideas in our heads about places around the world and we don't realize that the world is so much bigger than what we think.

My sons' girlfriend is from New Mexico and she said NM grows more pecans than any other state. I had never had NM and pecans in the same thought before.

What does pecans have to do with snow? Absolutely nothing.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on December 26, 2012, 08:10:45 am
I always find it interesting how we get ideas in our heads about places around the world and we don't realize that the world is so much bigger than what we think.
I know what you mean. When I think of rain, I think of Seattle. Yet Dallas gets almost as much average yearly precipitation as Seattle does. Who'da thunk?

Texas probably has more pecan trees, but most of them are "native" pecans. Too small for mass production.

Most power failures around here are less than 2 hours. Only once do I remember flippin' the page on the calendar during a blackout (still well under 24 hours).

byhammerandhand

Gene is a wuss.   I did 9 stops today, including the trip back to the shop.   

On my first stop, 5.7 miles (and the most treacherous way to Gene's shop, er "studio")  I encountered, in this order: rain, snow, freezing rain, sleet, icy snow.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

I rememberehen the top layer would freeze and you could walk softly then break though  to your waist