Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 10:19:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to remove upholstery wrinkles (video)

Started by tiffanefields, December 16, 2012, 11:56:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

That was interesting. never heard of that technique before.

Thanks for posting. :)

Chris

kodydog

Caution. I recently did a leather repair for a furniture store. The inside arm was badly scratched during shipping and it took forever to get the new arm with a sewn on front panel.

While I was replacing the new arm I had a heck of a time getting all the puckers out of the panel. So I took the steamer to it. The result was terrible. Some might call it orange peal others would call it blush. I called it a white haze. And I about crapped.

I'm thinking Auto leather may not have this problem. But the fix was a heavy dose of leather conditioner. Whew!
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

west coast

I know the steam or hot towels works well on vinyl but never had much luck with trying it on leather. I have used the heat gun to soften and make the leather more pliable but only really liked the steam for doing the foam and getting it back to normal.

NDAV8R

I agree with WestCoast...There is'nt much you can do about leather. If there is, please let me know. About 90% of my interior work is done in leather. I found out through the years, to eliminate wrinkles, you must start at the beginning with preplanning.
  I start out by making sure all adjasent panels that are sewn together, are from the same area of the hide. There is a more available stretch from the head to the tail, and less available stretch from the spine to the flanks. Not much but there is, because of what gravity did to the hide while the cow was alive.
Never pull on one or the other pieces while they are sewn together. I use a map wheel to get my index marks to match on both pieces.
Concave areas of the seats are always subject to wrinkles. You could plan a seam there.
  Humidy also plays a role in leather. A panel that is covered tight while it was sewn in dry conditions will definitely loosen up as the humidy increases.
  Sometimes on rare occasions I mist the back of the leather with warm water them stretch the leather out before sewing.
NDAV8R
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Mike

Quote from: NDAV8R on December 17, 2012, 08:23:04 pm
I agree with WestCoast...There is'nt much you can do about leather. If there is, please let me know.
NDAV8R

Sew perfect  :P 
as you oviusly do :D

MinUph

I had a hard to cover piece a few months ago in Leather. I soaked the piece in water and it worked like butter. I put it on snug but not over tight and it dried nice and tight and no issues. I did try a sample piece a couple day before to be sure the dies would handle it. And it did. I let the sample air dry for at least a day. It was a great way to work the leather.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Would this hot towel method work with vinyl ? I rarely get the chance to work on cushions so am wondering.

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteI had a hard to cover piece a few months ago in Leather. I soaked the piece in water and it worked like butter.

Did you not say your Dad had done some shoe making? That is how you stretch an upper around the last. If you ever want to remove a piece of leather that has been stretched around something to shape it ; give it a generous dusting of baby powder before you stretch it onto your mold.Just take my word for how important that can be  :'( :'( :-[
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Quote from: Mojo on December 19, 2012, 05:08:41 am
Would this hot towel method work with vinyl ? I rarely get the chance to work on cushions so am wondering.

Chris

I don't think so Chris. Vinyl is not porous and wouldn't allow any saturation. Heat alone works well with Vinyl. Heat gun, Blow drier. Makes working with it a dream. Cushion work is not something to use it on.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Quote from: Darren Henry on December 19, 2012, 03:27:50 pm
QuoteI had a hard to cover piece a few months ago in Leather. I soaked the piece in water and it worked like butter.

Did you not say your Dad had done some shoe making? That is how you stretch an upper around the last. If you ever want to remove a piece of leather that has been stretched around something to shape it ; give it a generous dusting of baby powder before you stretch it onto your mold.Just take my word for how important that can be  :'( :'( :-[

Darren,
No my dad was an Upholsterer. Never did and shoes.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Who is from Holiday? Were close neighbors.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

My bad Paul; I know Mike had said that his Dad had done some in the navy,and some one else had mentioned a family connection on Dennis'(?) thread about dying trades a while back---but I can't remember the title of the thread.I just went with best (not worth beans --obviously ) memory.

great advise though.

Thanx for all your learned input and being a great friend to all on here.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!