Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 02:09:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Plygrip and Leather

Started by baileyuph, December 06, 2012, 05:03:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Ever use plygrip with leather?  Or vinyl?

Any problems?

Doyle

sofadoc

I've used it before. I like the stiffer 3-tooth pli-grip better (when using it on stiffer leather).  Of course, there is always the possibility of scuffing, or a bite mark.

Assuming we're talking about going around curves? I'd rather use nailheads. But if the customer vetos them, I'll use pli-grip. I'm not in to blind sewing leather.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Its a pain but it can be done. The thicker the harder.

Blind sewing is an option but better have a sharp needle and tough fingers.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

December 06, 2012, 06:31:37 pm #3 Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:35:00 pm by DB
Nail heads are not preferred.

This is a lawyer's office chair and the specific issue is across the top about 17 or 18 inches at the top of the outside back.  There is a small crown (arch).

I just need it across the top, the sides will get the metal nail strips.

I was thinking, since a welt is involved, another option is to Machine sew the outside back to the welt, along the top instead of using plygrip.

I think it is doable, the arch isn't too much I don't think.

I would sew the outside back to the welt, then staple it on across the top and go from there.

Hand sewing would be tougher, I don't want to go there.

Any comments?

Doyle

JuneC

Doyle, a picture is worth a thousand words....  When you gonna get a digital camera or a smart phone that takes pics?   Imagine all the help you could get from the brains on this board with one or two pics..  :-X

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

I understand June, but these guys are so experienced they are doing fine with their response.  This one is old soap to the furniture pros.

When I get my new camera June, I will bug you till I get as good as you are with yours. 

Doyle

sofadoc

If it isn't a drastic arch, you might be able to backtack it.

baileyuph

No, thankfully it isn't a high arch.  Plus, the long nose will be used.  I am going to give it a shot.  I will start stapling at the center and work out on both sides. A 9/16th inch staple should hold the cord, leather, and the strip.  It is about 17 inches wide, like I said, and moving from center in equal increments, on both sides, should negotiate the arc issue.

Thanks,

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on December 06, 2012, 07:03:39 pm
I will start stapling at the center and work out on both sides. A 9/16th inch staple should hold the cord, leather, and the strip........... moving from center in equal increments, on both sides, should negotiate the arc issue.
That is exactly how I would approach it.

west coast

If you are worried about the ply grip try using heavy cardboard/posterboard and make a pattern of the top then just staple the pipe and fabric to it and then nail it on and finish the sides. I usually make the pattern so I have around 2-3 inches of board to nail to so it sits nice and tight. We have used curve ease lots and its good but it seems to have changed like everything else it does not have the strength it used to.

baileyuph

December 07, 2012, 05:19:07 am #10 Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:25:53 am by DB
West Coast, your two primary points are well appreciated:  one, affix the assembly of cording and final covering to a stiffner (some degree of cardboard) and the other about plygrip/curve ease not being as strong as it used to be.

Dennis, sofadoc, hit on that same note of there being some grip that is different.  

Back to the West Coast point, I have encountered your technique somewhere else over time, it worked perfectly, I think it was in transportation seating.  If I go that route and will if I can't back tack it together to look nice, I will sew everything to the cardboard then staple it in.  I have seen glue used in this process also, where material and cording are sewn together then that assembly is glued to the cardboard then stapled to the furniture frame.

Outstanding points made, I am listening to everyone of them.

BTW, June since you are reemphasizing a camera, what specific camera do you find as a good recommendation?  I have a digital, but I never liked it, it was only around $300 bucks.  

Thanks again,

Doyle

sofadoc

I use the light for most fabrics, and the regular for leather.

JuneC

Quote from: DB on December 07, 2012, 05:19:07 am

BTW, June since you are reemphasizing a camera, what specific camera do you find as a good recommendation?  I have a digital, but I never liked it, it was only around $300 bucks.  

Thanks again,

Doyle

I have an old (probably 10 years) Olympus that came with software for about $230 as I recall, and it still works just fine.  Lots of inexpensive digital cameras on the market are a terrific value.  If I were in the market for one, I'd just look up reviews on CNET.COM or Consumer Reports if you have a subscription. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

JDUpholstery

I have a $900 Canon Rebel....but I take most of my pictures with my phone! convenience outweighs quality IMO!

Mojo

Quote from: JDUpholstery on December 07, 2012, 04:35:52 pm
I have a $900 Canon Rebel....but I take most of my pictures with my phone! convenience outweighs quality IMO!

Funny you should mention that. The wife unit got a package delivered the other day and is customary we never open each others mail or packages. She got home from work, seen the box and opened it up.

It appears she did a little early Christmas shopping, for herself mind you, and bought a new Cannon Rebel. Complete with extra zoom lens and filters. I cannot believe the price of these lens now days. Our buddy, who is a professional photographer spent $ 2,000 for a special zoom lens. :)

Chris