Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 03:26:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Questions about staples...

Started by BobbyD, November 29, 2012, 10:22:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyD

What kinds of staples do people favor?  What gauges, crown sizes, and lengths, and for what applications?

I have a surebonder pneumatic staple gun which takes T50 staples (20 gauge, 3/8" crown).  Any opinions on these?  What do you folks have in your shops?

Thanks as always for any help  :)

sofadoc

I use 22 gauge 3/8 crown staples. Often referred to as 71 series. 90% of the time, I shoot 3/8" length. I also stock 1/4" for covering thin panels, and 1/2", 9/16" for stapling through several thick layers.

The 20 gauge would probably be less likely to cut through vinyl.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BobbyD

Thank you good doctor!

I think I might get a 22 gauge gun as well to be gentler to frames...  I have seen it suggested that 1/2" crown has the advantage of making fewer holes.  Is there a trade-off though?  Another thing that is unclear to me is what "#7" staples are?

sofadoc

#7 is the same as 71 series. All of these are 3/8" crown 22 gauge. This is the most commonly used staple in the upholstery industry.

1/2" crown staples are also known as #8, or 80 series (more suitable for vinyl applications)
Ken sells them here on this website:
http://www.upholster.com/toolkits/staplers.html

Darren Henry

Quote71 series. All of these are 3/8" crown 22 gauge. This is the most commonly used staple in the upholstery industry./quote]

The shop I'm in now uses the 71 series staples.I don't know how popular they are down there but my shop and the shop I was in first used the 1400 series staples.Very, very close to (but sadly not interchangeable with )the 71 series.The only appreciable difference I can see is that the 1400 series have a shorter staple available than the 71.Those little 1405's come in real handy on thin panels like the plates on the fronts of some arms and the odd quad seat where the plastic pan looks like it was cut out of a javex jug.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BobbyD

November 29, 2012, 03:19:52 pm #5 Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:22:01 pm by BobbyD
Sounds like I should buy a whole arsenal of staple guns  ;D

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 29, 2012, 03:13:25 pm
Quote71 series. All of these are 3/8" crown 22 gauge. This is the most commonly used staple in the upholstery industry./quote]

The shop I'm in now uses the 71 series staples.I don't know how popular they are down there but my shop and the shop I was in first used the 1400 series staples.Very, very close to (but sadly not interchangeable with )the 71 series.The only appreciable difference I can see is that the 1400 series have a shorter staple available than the 71.Those little 1405's come in real handy on thin panels like the plates on the fronts of some arms and the odd quad seat where the plastic pan looks like it was cut out of a javex jug.

BobbyD

November 29, 2012, 03:23:37 pm #6 Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:24:24 pm by BobbyD
Thanks for clearing up the mystery about the #7s and #8s sofadoc.

Another thing I was wondering about is staple finishes.  Galvanized, stainless steel, laquor...?  Which for which applications?

byhammerandhand

November 29, 2012, 03:32:58 pm #7 Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:14:32 pm by byhammerandhand
I always get a chuckle because my supplier's catalog lists staples as "liquor coated."     I was shocked to see the actual box that they comes in lists them as "liquor coated."    (I believe this should be lacquer-coated")

Quote from: BobbyD on November 29, 2012, 03:23:37 pm

Another thing I was wondering about is staple finishes.  Galvanized, stainless steel, laquor...?  Which for which applications?

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

BobbyD

sofadoc

Liquor finish staples are the cheapest, and are suitable for indoor applications (such as furniture).
Galvanized are water resistant. Some shops around here use them on boats that will remain in fresh water lakes. But ideally, stainless steel should be used on marine applications. The main difference between liquor, and stainless steel staples is about 20 bucks per box. :D

I always thought "liquor finish" simply referred to the color.

Darren Henry

Quotemy supplier's catalog lists staples as "liquor coated."

My suppliers up here can't even get liquor finished staples any more. At least not the two main ones we use.[J.Ennis and George N. Jackson] :'( They were nice as they hide so much better than galvanized.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 29, 2012, 04:16:20 pm
My suppliers up here can't even get liquor finished staples any more. They were nice as they hide so much better than galvanized.
I kinda like the galvanized (or at least non-liquor finish) staples because they're easier to paint. I keep several different colors of 99 cent Wally World spray paint cans on the shelf so I can paint staples a matching color. Makes 'em even easier to hide. The 99 cent cans stick better than the more expensive brands like Krylon, but liquor finish usually takes 2 coats.

Mojo

I am a bit different and some will tell you I am weird. Shoe fits I guess. :)

I use galv staples that are 3/8ths with a 1/2 crown on anything that is going to be indoors. I had pull through issues with the smaller crown staples ( 3/8ths ). Others have not had this problem but I like the extra bit of hold with the 1/2 ".

Anything that will be outdoors you should use stainless staples. In damp climates this is a must. In Florida it is imperative. I use 3/8ths with 1/2 crown SS staples. ( Good Gawd are those things expensive ). Most of your marine people will use the SS staples and consider them a neccessity.

I bought my el cheapo 1/2 " Harbor Freight stapler on sale for 19 bucks. Still going strong but not the best for furniture people who need long nosed staplers.

Chris

BobbyD

Are those 20 gauge staples?

Quote from: Mojo on November 30, 2012, 05:02:25 am
I am a bit different and some will tell you I am weird. Shoe fits I guess. :)

I use galv staples that are 3/8ths with a 1/2 crown on anything that is going to be indoors. I had pull through issues with the smaller crown staples ( 3/8ths ). Others have not had this problem but I like the extra bit of hold with the 1/2 ".

Anything that will be outdoors you should use stainless staples. In damp climates this is a must. In Florida it is imperative. I use 3/8ths with 1/2 crown SS staples. ( Good Gawd are those things expensive ). Most of your marine people will use the SS staples and consider them a neccessity.

I bought my el cheapo 1/2 " Harbor Freight stapler on sale for 19 bucks. Still going strong but not the best for furniture people who need long nosed staplers.

Chris

Darren Henry

Quotebut not the best for furniture people who need long nosed staplers.

Don't get me wrong,I'd give my "I" teeth for a good long nose stapler ( there's nothing left under them so what the hell?) ; but one always manages to "get by". I've never worked in a shop that had one actually.