Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 09:21:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Folder Attachment Questions

Started by Mojo, November 27, 2012, 04:47:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have a stack of different folders. Different sizes, different folds ( single , double, etc. ).

I am wondering if anyone uses them and if so I would love to get some tips on using them. I tried and about the only thing I accomplished was driving myself nuts. My folds looked horrible and in some cases they didnt work.

Anyone use folders ?

Chris

Mike

I have 3/4" and 1" folder cor installing double cold premade bindings it. Erry easy insert the end of a binding roll into the folder and it folds it over the edge of your canvas.  What is it you are tring to do that you are having trouble ?

Mojo

Mike:

I apologize. I should have been a bit clearer. I am not talking  about binders but rather folders which can actually be used to make binding with. The folders take material such as canvas and folds it in half or double folds it and some even have a double fold with edge hider which folds the raw edge so it is invisible.

I have a alot of these folders, tried using the double folder and could not get it to work. It was a royal pain. I gave up.

Chris

MinUph

The only folder I use is for attaching binding to an edge. It is the nuts. Chris are you cutting the fabric to the exact size need for the folder? Alignment to the foot is also touchy.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

sounds like it would be a pia to cut a length of fabric to fit

Mojo

I believe what you do is run your fabric through it and it folds the edge. You use this to finish off the edges versus binders.

Paul, if your willing I will give you my setup to play and see if you can get the stupid thing to work right. That double fold is tricky. I know there is a trick to it but damned if I have found it.

Chris

zanepurcell

Mojo,

I dont use one but have played with them, the trick seems to be in the way you feed it, more from a side angle than strait on if that makes sense. you can find youtube videos of double fold attachments
Zane

MinUph

Quote from: Mojo on November 27, 2012, 07:52:09 pm
I believe what you do is run your fabric through it and it folds the edge. You use this to finish off the edges versus binders.

Paul, if your willing I will give you my setup to play and see if you can get the stupid thing to work right. That double fold is tricky. I know there is a trick to it but damned if I have found it.

Chris

Chris,
  I'll give it a shot. I'll see if I can stop by Saturday. Email the address. and Phone# so I can call first.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Will do Paul. Thanks.

I still owe you a lunch or dinner BTW. Ever been to the Chinese Buffet across from Sam's ?

Chris

baileyuph

Test underway?  What test/folders will be tested and materials?

Be interesting to know the test plan when developed. 

Doyle

Mojo

I will have to get it to Paul and give him some scrap acrylic and vinyl to test with. if anyone can get this thing to work it will be Paul. :)  I am sure he will report his findings.

Nothing like a little pressure huh ?

Chris

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website