Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 05:23:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Furniture question

Started by SHHR, November 19, 2012, 07:22:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

First off, I'm not a furniture guy, but did take on some wingback chairs to recover. One is a newer rocker style and the other much older (probably 1950s). Even though they're not identical and both in ecxellent shape structurally and in the covers, I recovered them in the customer's provided material. First off I believe it too thin of a material for seating purposes and I expressed my concern to which she's ok with, but my question is this since I've never done it before; on the end caps of the arms, they're on one a thin plywood cap covered in the material, and the other is a thick cardboard likewise covered in the material. What is the best way for me to re-fasten them after I recover them? I see how they were done originally with finish nails driven through the board before they were wrapped. The old fabric was very tough and dense and the new is so thin I keep having the nails back out and through the material while I'm driving them in. I'm using a block of hardwood to hammer against trying to drive the nails in easy all at once but still get one or two that will push out while hammering and poked through the fabric. I did then use a small nail set to drive the heads down leaving a small hole showing through. It doesn't look terrible, but does show on the finished part. Is there another way that I'm missing or is it just trial and error untill it comes out correct?
Kyle

sofadoc

More than likely, the finish nails were NOT driven through the wood (or cardboard) BEFORE they were wrapped. They were wrapped first, and then the finish nails were driven right through the front of the fabric. They got away with that the first time because they had a dense fabric (the holes didn't show). Sometimes, you can cut the heads off the finish nails, and drive them through the front, leaving a small inconspicuous hole. Or you may  have to do something different because you are working with such a thin fabric. 

You could make new panels out of a stiff cardboard, or thin plywood. 2 layers per panel with roofing nails poking through the back of one of the layers. Then hammer the panel on by hammering squarely on the roofing nail heads.

Some prefer to tack welt on first, and then blind-sew the cap fabric to the welt (tedious).

You might even be able to make a separate panel, and hot glue it on.

Another option would be to finish the panel off with brass nail heads.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SHHR

Thanks for the advice Sofa. I ended up using a combo of hot glue and some very small brad tacks I had that didn't leave a visible hole in the fabric. My biggest fear now is the material is just too thin and will wear quickly. It's a screen printed fabric from JoAnns that the customer special ordered. I expressed my concerns, but she seemed to be ok with it all.
Time will tell.
Kyle

gene

November 19, 2012, 04:05:36 pm #3 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:09:45 pm by gene
I remember sofa d mentioning years ago the idea of making new arm caps out of chipboard or thin plywood if you need to, or if it's just easier than messing with the old ones. For some reason that idea had never crossed my mine. I had always felt I needed to use the ones that came with the furniture no matter what.

I just did a similar wing back chair that had chipboard arm caps. They had used brad nails and when I pulled the caps off the nails stayed in the wood.

I removed the old welt cord, removed the old fabric, took off the cotton padding, put roofing nails through the holes in the chip board, put the cotton padding back on, stapled the new fabric on, stapled the new welt cord on, and gently hammered the caps back on.

I have often used hot melt glue. I put the cap on the arm and run a chalk line around the edge. I then staple a lot of staples inside the chalk line to hold down the fabric on the arm.

I then use more than usual staples to hold on the welt cord to the cap. I am then basically gluing stapled down fabric on the arm to stapled down fabric / welt cord on the cap.

I always feel bad for the next upholsterer who sees all those staples I used. I just hope the next upholsterer is not me.  :D

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Quote from: gene on November 19, 2012, 04:05:36 pm
I always feel bad for the next upholsterer who sees all those staples I used. I just hope the next upholsterer is not me.  :D

gene

As you should  :o
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Paul, your advise is always spot on and you have helped me out of a jam or two. You were on this site long before I joined this rag tag group of craftsmen. One thing I don't understand is why did it take you so long to become a YaBB God. Not that it really matters.

Congratulations.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

kodydog,
  I guess it has to do with the amount of posts. I don't post all that much just when I feel capable or I cant hold it in  :D :P

BTW glad I helped ya.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website