Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:36:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

largest thread size for singer 11w/consew 225 etc

Started by zanepurcell, November 09, 2012, 08:01:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zanepurcell

I know some people like June like to kick it old school an the non reverse singer 111w style machines like myself and I have never been able to get larger thread like 138 to work for me. t69 is always safe and flows well in the machine for me. Allegedly one can use a t138 but i never did it successfully. can it be done and do I need to adjust things like bobbin tension and or bobbin case opener clearance?

zANE

JuneC

I sew Tenara Heavy which is a larger diameter than 138 by a smidge.  Don't like to since the bobbin only holds about half of what it would with V92, which is what I commonly use.  I don't bother with 69 on marine work.  Maybe my bobbin tension is so old it expands enough to handle it.  I do have to open it up a bit and also back way off the upper tension.  BTW, some years ago I bought a brand new tension assembly for my 111W and the spring on the assembly was VERY heavy and backed off till the nut was basically off the post, it was still too tight.  I traded out this heavy spring for my old spring and was able to successfully set the tension correctly.  If you can't run 138 successfully, be sure to inspect your tension post for grooves.  I've had to turn mine before 180 degrees because the thread gets caught in the groove made from years of use.  After it's cut on both sides, time for a new post.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

zanepurcell

ok, ill keep on playing with it. My main issue is that I cant get good upper tension, the loop on the bottom stays too big, i will take out the bobbin case and do some tension stuff with it too. Good point about the bar post thing getting grooved. I just bought an old consew 225 and all the parts internally had simanco on them an singer part numbers. I overhauled it and changed things, cleaned things and just looked at other things. I dont know whats up with that unless seiko bought singer parts or someone once rebuilt it with singer guts.

Zane

JuneC

For the 111W they do sell a heavy take-up spring.  Maybe yours is too light?  If the spring's worn out, it won't be able to pull the thread back up through the fabric after it's made its round trip around the bobbin.  Both the top tension has to be tight enough, and the spring has to be strong enough to pull that excess back up topsides after the stitch is made.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

zanepurcell

I am in business now, I adjusted it all out and its working for me.

Love, Zane