Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:02:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fabrication Tax

Started by Up Hut, November 08, 2012, 06:51:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Up Hut

Can anyone share how you are listed the fabrication tax on invoice? This is a CA tax.. (of course) They are telling us it should be 20% of your labor total and then tax at $7.25.. We already tax on the material..

Thanks

JDUpholstery

I am not sure of CA taxes, but here in Arkansas we tax the entire job, labor and material, I always include a taxed shop fee as well to cover thread, staples, etc. because if I don't then they expect me to pay a use tax on my thread and such...I would much rather pass that extra cost onto the customer!

sofadoc

November 08, 2012, 07:50:28 pm #2 Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:52:28 pm by sofadoc
Fabrication tax is a new one on me.  I briefly ??? read up on it a few minutes ago.
I understand that it is a tax for fabricating, or altering a new product to meet a customer's specific needs (such as re-sizing a ring). My extremely short attention span prevented me from reading any further (my eyes were already glazing over).

UpHut: What kind of work do you do? Since most types of upholstery involve refurbishing (not fabricating) of tangible personal property, are they subject to a fabrication tax?

If indeed, California upholsterers are subject to such a tax, it seems like it would behoove them to just charge an enormous mark-up on the fabric, and give the labor away for free. ;)

In Texas, upholstery is NOT subject to labor tax........however........it is considered a "Taxable service". So the bottom line is........yes, you tax the labor (same rate as material sales tax).
So when I make out an invoice, I just tax the whole bill at 8.25%.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

And people wonder why citizens do not start small businesses.

The taxes, laws, regulations etc. are a royal PITA.

Chris

baileyuph

Fabrication tax for CA, no help.  Ask another long time shop how they meet requirements or CA.

Chris, I understand your question.  Business over head is through roof.  Here in my state, the local laws prohibit doing a business in the home.  Maybe something with a deck and computer are exempt if there is no patron traffic.

Which MEANS, commerical property!  That brings in all the cost one can think of into play.

Some now and then try to do work out of the home, but it doesn't work out usually.

I could sell and go to work for someone else and not put up with all the head aches but those employers cannot usually afford to pay a very good wage.

So what to do?

Back to the thread, yes, just go to some business that is subject to fabricaion tax there in CA and they probably would show you how they do the invoice. 

I am not in CA.
Good luck,
Doyle

byhammerandhand

Not true.   I heard it on TV that people don't build businesses by themselves.   They have lots of help.  I'm still waiting for smiling Joe to come over and help out.   Who was that guy that invented the internet?

( I have seen a number of signs on fronts of businesses that read, "We built this business, not the gov't.")

Quote from: Mojo on November 09, 2012, 04:58:12 am

Chris
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

JuneC

Quote from: Mojo on November 09, 2012, 04:58:12 am

Chris

Indeed!  My degree is in Accounting and I still have to read paragraphs of the tax code for forms instructions 3 or 4 times over to understand what it is they want.  There are many times I see ads for sewers/seamstresses that I think I'd like to just sew and let someone else worry about all the paperwork. 

June 
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Rich

QuoteNot true.   I heard it on TV that people don't build businesses by themselves.   They have lots of help.

I can't imagine any business owners wanting to vote for the individual who made that remark. I certainly didn't!
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Eric

Here in Wisconsin, you have to have a bathroom. So I either had to install one in building, which had to be wheelchair accessable, or allow them to use house bathroom.
Eric