Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 04:26:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Singer Industrial 16-188 threading.

Started by beachrobin, November 08, 2012, 06:43:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beachrobin

Hi! I am new to this group and although I found my question in an old thread it suggested to start a new topic.

We purchased an old Singer 16-188 and it is now cleaned and gone through, but the manual I downloaded is not real clear on how to thread the machine. I also need to learn how to wind bobbins on it. We are not new to old machines and have several, but this industrial is different.

Is there anywhere I can get a good clear diagram on how to thread the machine?
Thanks for your help!

zanepurcell

here is your manual, and congrats, you have the oldest walking foot (non compound needle feed) machine here. Good stuff.
Zane

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/16-133_CLASS_16.pdf

beachrobin

Quote from: zanepurcell on November 08, 2012, 09:56:27 pm
here is your manual, and congrats, you have the oldest walking foot (non compound needle feed) machine here. Good stuff.
Zane

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/16-133_CLASS_16.pdf

Thank you. I have that one but it is not very clear. Their photos were terrible back then :) I think we are lucky, we got it really cheap with the original motor too. We have cleaned it up well, refinished the table and it's oiled and ready to go. I have not threaded and tried sewing yet, but I know my challenge will be controlling the speed. My husband can keep it down but I get it going way to fast, so have a learning curve with this one!

zanepurcell

put your foot on the pedal as if it were a car gas pedal. your fot is probably way up on the end of it and you cant control it. heel almost on the ground in front of it.
as for threading, you face the end of it and folow the steps. put through the #1 loop at top left and then go down around tension and then up and down through the thread carriers. all sewing machines thread on the same principle. down through tension up through thread take-up lever to needle and some loops along the way

if your machine has a spoked, pierced hand wheel then the original motor was a treadle.