Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 04:36:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pre-first pontoon job advise please

Started by cthomps, November 08, 2012, 05:40:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

Hello all.  Again I seek the advise of the all knowing professionals on the forum.  I am starting to upholster a pontoon on Monday.  It is my first one and I will be working on site in a really nice heated shop.  I would appreciate any tips, tricks, and advise from you folks before I start.  I'm hoping to avoid some major "oh sh$t" moments!  Thank you for your time and your willingness to share your knowledge.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Mike

I cant think of anythinv toons are just bigger then a normal boat
Perhap the cOnsoles are a pain some are upholstered some are not.  Im doing one now upholstered and immgoing to do
It in place romavoid removing all the controls.

MinUph

Hi Carol,
  As Mike said its just a bigger boat. More seats. Pretty straight forward. If there are designs in the covers like sewn section of different colors make sure you take good patterns and many reference points in the seams so you don't over stretch the vinyl. What exactly are you concerned about maybe we can be more specific. Make sure the wood is good. Replace as needed and use SS fasteners. If you replace any wood make sure there are holes in the bottom of the seating areas so the air can escape when sat on.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

cthomps

I guess it would only matter what size the boat is, if I had ever done a boat! ;D  I should have been more specific by mentioning this is my first marine upholster job.  Fortunately they are my friends and are well aware of my limited experience.  (they are going to pay me though)  They have seen alot of my work and are confident they will get a great job.  Good thing winter is coming and I have lots of time.

Like I have mentioned before, I am a third generation seamstress, and soft goods designer.  I also do alterations, repairs, and lots of party dresses I also  have some products on the market.  I am not worried about the sewing part. Inside/outside curves, pivots, welting etc.   It is just the lack of experience with the vinyl, that has me worried. ie stretch, shrinkage etc.  I will see this boat on the lake all summer and I don't want to re-do it again next year.  I am trying to self teach (with all of your help) and be able to add boat work to my services.  No guts, no glory.....  How about this for a question?  How do you pattern.  I would strip, rip and use the existing pieces.  I will try and add photos.  Thanks

JDUpholstery

be careful when patterning using existing vinyl...it stretches and over time retains that stretch, it is important to note, I normally measure true, then make it 1/2" smaller than measurement so when I wrap the seat I can steam it to heat it and stretch it over, it will be good and tight then!

JuneC

Since you don't do boats, just a few words of advice:  1) use bonded poly thread.  Nylon, bonded or not, won't cut it unless the boat's covered 99% of the time and you live waaaaaaay up North. 2) if using multiple vinyls, be aware that the stretch is different from one to another unless all are the same brand/line.  I've been bitten by this before using a textured vinyl along with a smooth only to pattern exactly then find out that one puckers because it's more stretchy than the other.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

cthomps

Yay!  Thank you.  That is exactly the kind of  advice I am looking for. 

All of the fabric is the same marine brand.  I have done some sail and canvas work and am aware of thread specs.

Clothing construction has the same problem with mixing different fabrics.  And the boat is in Western Wisconsin about 60 miles from Minneapolis. 

zanepurcell

are you planning on using a garment machine to upholster?

cthomps

Quote from: zanepurcell on November 08, 2012, 10:05:13 pm
are you planning on using a garment machine to upholster?

No.  I have a LSZ1 Sailrite.  It works great on vinyl.  I have used it in restaurant booth seats, and alot of production work.  I make vinyl covers for several products for a veterinarian  supply company. 

Mike

To add  i use 5/32 poly wlt also for piping.

cthomps

Well I got a few skins done and tacked. So far so good.  (the end or arm pieces are not much fun)  There is quite a bit of welting on the backs.  I am using pre-made welt from DLT.  There are places where 2 pieces meet in a seem.  Like stacked, creating alot of bulk.  In the garment industry, we would pull out the interior cord and clip it back to the seem allowance.  I tried to do this with the vinyl welt, but it only stretched and tore out about 1/4".  I couldn't get any more out and couldn't get the heat weld out either to remove it.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Mike

I make my own welt and just cut the welt core short where its doubled up

zanepurcell

Carol,

How is the job going for you? What products from DLT did you decide to go with? Are you pleased with them as a supplier? Post some pictures.. I am in the middle of a very similar boat, 24 foot late 80's Sylvan pontoon. it has lots of corner section seats
Zane