Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 04:30:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

piano bench

Started by gene, November 07, 2012, 03:31:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

November 07, 2012, 03:31:32 pm Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:32:40 pm by gene
Howdy,

I am putting an attached cushion on a piano bench. 30" x 15". The boxing will be pulled under and stapled. I will put welt cord around the bottom edge to make it look like a boxed cushion.

The top edge of the piano bench is rounded - ogee for the woodworkers in the audiance.

Does anyone have experience with how well the bottom edge of the foam will hold up if I do not fill in the ogee? If I leave this bit of space between the edge of the piano bench and the foam, will it make any difference?

foam
_______
           )_      ogee, sort of, but it gives you an idea of what I am trying to describe.
wood_____)

This is somewhat what the edge looks like from the profile.

Thank you.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

It should be fine Gene. If you're concerned you could staple some edge roll on the edge to fill in it but it isn't necessary. Make the foam a little proud of the wood. 1/2" all around.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

zanepurcell

your illustration wiht text shows above average illustration skills. Would you stop there with the foam or come to the edge ofthe top as opposed to the edge of the orgy?

needles eye

ooh gee, oh wow
ogee
foaming at the mouth of the welt cord,

and, with your kind indulgence, on account of the Ladies present, note that one's AutoCAD skills are clearly manifest, and, certainly sounds like a sweet concourd of sounds are, in any event,  still left in this particular old piano bench being to round everything out and fill in the peripheals.. perhaps some pix could relay a thousand stories

___________---------==^^^^^^------------------------------------

sofadoc

Quote from: zanepurcell on November 07, 2012, 06:47:58 pm
your illustration wiht text shows above average illustration skills. Would you stop there with the foam or come to the edge ofthe top as opposed to the edge of the orgy?
I'm just wondering why you would want to take foam to an orgy?  ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand?    Oh, Gee.

Other orgy terms: Cyma recta and cyma reversa?

I think what Gene is describing is an ovolo, aka ovulo?   Not to be confused with the anatomical term, (palatine) uvula.

Class dismissed? No double entendre intended.

Quote from: sofadoc on November 08, 2012, 09:27:34 am
Quote from: zanepurcell on November 07, 2012, 06:47:58 pm
I'm just wondering why you would want to take foam to an orgy?  ;)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on November 08, 2012, 11:19:47 am
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand?    Oh, Gee.
Never mind. After posing that question, I thought of several uses for foam at an orgy. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

November 08, 2012, 02:55:43 pm #7 Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:02:35 pm by gene
Thank you Paul, for your response.

I had never left a gap like that before. I only have 1" and 3/4" edge roll in my studio, which would be too big. I went ahead and cut strips of foam in a triangular shape and glued that to the bottom edge of the foam - just to ease my worries.
                                                                                                   |\
The profile view of the strips of foam that I cut look somewhat like this:    |_\

Regarding pics: I keep leaving my camera at the house. I finished the piano bench today and wanted a pic to show the before and after. Wouldn't it be great if they made cell phones that could take pictures. I never forget my cell phone.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

Oh Good Grief!!!   ???  Digress much?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

The digression is upholstery talk.   ;D

Doyle