Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 03:28:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pricing for doing slipcovers

Started by lc, November 05, 2012, 10:56:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lc

Hi everyone .

Could someone give me a general idea on what to charge for custom slipcovers ?

For example a rounded arm sofa ,  loose cushions and skirt. I keep feeling I am undercutting myself with all the fitting and work that goes into them I never know what a fair price would be.

Advice would greatly be appreciated !
Thanks

lc

Okay I think I have some worried on their pricing secrets ...lets say the labour is 500. to sew up a  loose  cushion sofa slipcover , is this too high or too low  ??

Ageorge

In general, we charge the same as what we would charge to upholster..sometimes more.  A custom slipcover is almost more time consuming!

sofadoc

I don't do slip covers. So I can't help you with pricing. But I think the reason that you haven't had any replies yet might not have to do with secrecy. There are just so many variables.
Some stitchers are great at them. They'd rather do a slip cover than a complete recover.
For others, they are tedious and time-consuming.
Some do a very loose fitting SC. While others make them fit as if they were melted and poured on.

It's a regional thing. And while I can't speak for everyone in my region, I find that many of them have the wrong idea about SC's. The expect them to cost a mere fraction of a complete re-upholstery job. They don't understand that you can't just put a SC on an old worn out sofa, and expect it to look like new. And they think they can toss the whole thing in the washing machine 3 times a week.

But I think that......if they are taking you too long......you need to charge more (regardless of what anyone else is charging).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

needles eye

Yo, some rough guide prices from west oz for ya.

seat cushions  55cm x 55cm - $45- per cushion and add $5- for every 50 cm added

scatter cushions 1.2 mts makes three 45cm  x  45cm cushion = $20- per cushion
                                           and 50cm x 50cm cushion = $25- per cushion

dining chairs only one seat cushion, plus fabric costs and $35- per cushion

dining chair full cover to the floor , 1.4 mts per chair + $85- per chair for 4 chairs, $80- for 6 chairs, $75- for 8 chairs

arm chairs with seat and back cushions, and 6.5mts fabric, $300- labour

arm chair with only seat cushions, and 6 mts fabric, $250-

arm chair without cushions, and 5.5 mts of fabric, $200-

wingback chair, and 6 mts of fabric, $250-

rocker / recliner, 6.5 mts, $300-

2 seater lounge / sofa with back and seat cushions, 11.5 mts, $350-
"                          "       only seat cushions, 10 mts, $300-
"                          "        without cushions, 8.5 mts, $250-

3 seater sofa with back and seat cushions, 13 mts, $450-
"              "    with only seat cushions, 11.5 mts,  $400-
"              "      without cushions, 10 mts, $350-

Fabric from samples shown to client usually marked up, marked up at about 80% - 100%.
Customer can supply fabric if required. Charge more labour to get mark up.
Pickup and delivery charge on the sofa or the seat/s to do job $150-, but charged more if miles away.

These are a competitor's old prices, hope it may help .......

lc

Yes thank you for all your help ! It just gives me a better perspective hoping I be competitive enough and not lose money. They are a lot of work ,