Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 03:33:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pricing

Started by gene, November 02, 2012, 06:27:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I'm home, off the streets, this evening. No chance that I'll show up on youtube getting punched and choked out by some big bicepped bouncer.

Here's a nice, but short, article about an upholsterer in NYC, with the link.

What caught my eye was this quote:

How much does reupholstery set you back? "Sofas could run anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000, with the customer's fabric. A club chair would run from $1,500 to $3,000."

http://nymag.com/homedesign/design-hunting/2012/spring/upholsterer-david-feldman/

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

zanepurcell

thats 3-4 times what I would get. cost of livin is high there.

sofadoc

What I thought was interesting, was his response to the question about whether or not they replace all the "innards". I don't know about you guys, but if I'm paying 5 grand......I expect new innards. But he talked about revamping the cushions, and adding some padding.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Rich

Wow, an article on a shop where the interviewer actually asked what the charges are-that's rare! I wish it was done more often so the rest of can see where our pricing falls in.
As far as pricing, I think it's higher there since he's in an area where people will spend more for quality work and have good furniture worth putting money into.

QuoteWhat I thought was interesting, was his response to the question about whether or not they replace all the "innards". I don't know about you guys, but if I'm paying 5 grand......I expect new innards. But he talked about revamping the cushions, and adding some padding.

Sofa, I think at that price he would replace the padding since he gave a range of pricing going up to that level. I would expect it too.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

Quote from: Rich on November 05, 2012, 07:55:16 am
Sofa, I think at that price he would replace the padding since he gave a range of pricing going up to that level.
You're probably right. But I still found his answer a tad vague for my tastes. A more forthcoming answer would've been "That depends on how much you pay me".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fragged8

So why dont you guys advertise there and offer free shipping  to you and back
you'd still be doubling your money ??

JuneC

Lots of discussion here on pricing:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/case-studies-of-real-life-upholstery-jobs-what-do-people-really-pay-172781

Some of your furniture guys might do well to participate in a forum like that one if you need more work.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields