Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 01:33:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Headliner question

Started by SHHR, October 17, 2012, 11:45:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

Has anyone ever steamed the late model foam backed headliner material immediately or soon after recovering one?

I had a customer who brought me a custom stretched Toyota Prius to make a headliner for. I cut two down and grafted them together for the added length and recovered with the new material. There is an area at the graft where I can vaguely see a seam showing through the new material and when trying to install this new 9' long headliner it buckled slightly along one edge and left a deep wrinkle in the fabric. I don't think either will be an issue with the guy since he did this car as a prototype to see if there may be a market for a 100 MPG car that can easily seat 7, plus it's an advertisment for his auto rebuilder business. Any way I think steam will pull these out, but am unsure as to what may happen to the glue I used (weldwood).
Kyle

Rich

Kyle,
Both the buckle and the graft seem to me to be the reason you are seeing a line through the fabric. If the substrate was perfectly smooth and you had a line, I'd say steam is worth a try, but since the line in the substrate is not going to change from the application of steam, I don't think it will become any less noticeable. Actually, it could even make it more pronounced.
If you do another, you might want to consider making each piece a little longer to overlap and wrap each piece individually.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!