Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 09:22:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machine down.

Started by Mike, September 17, 2012, 12:21:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

baileyuph

Mike, If I used a 20 with 92 thread and sewed that stiff stuff, I would have a problem on any of my machines as the layers increased.  The 20 needle can push the thread through only so many layers and effective get a good seam.

Years ago, we wouldn't sew through that much thickness with that small of needle, we would go with a 22.  That was when we sewed with 16 cord treated cotton.  BTW, we did that on a 111W155.

Good luck,

Doyle

Mike

October 02, 2012, 07:12:23 am #17 Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:01:47 pm by MikeM8560
I was used smetz 19 on my other 111w for years. NEver a problem. Then a new suplier had groz-becker. German   Co 20s. And. No problems it my juki no trouble also its only on this spAre 11w im using till i fix the old one. I did turn the needle a bit and it got much better.
What size doese most use here with v92 the. Chart on  on his site shows 19

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html
So doyle binding ths edge of a cover ive alway used binding with webbing to reinforce the snaps. 3 larer of sunbrella us the webbing   Its double fold binding on each edge so actually 5 layers plus the webbing ive never ha a problem what size would you  use?  Now  its mostly only when sewing a seam with piping and that may be partly hos i use no piping foot

baileyuph

Mike,
I just have to experiment, run a test on an issue like this.  If the #20 needle will push and pull the thread through, then I would use it.  Continuing, if it didn't, then just experiment with a #22.

Last week, I was doing the same as you, #20/v92, while sewing on auto original that incorporated the stiff vinyl piping and my #20 had to be changed to a #22 to complete the job.

My experience, the number of layers is a factor but layers of what type of material is an even more critical issue. 

It is all about the ability of the needle to pull the thread through what is being sewn.

I do subscribe to the theory of using the smallest needle required.  Why pierce a bigger hole than necessary.

Along with this discussion, the harder (density) the materials, usually one will have more trouble with smaller needles because they will even break sometimes.

I have the long needle Pfaff, 1245, and with that machine, one sometimes is required to use the bigger size needles to avoid needle breakage. 

Interesting subject, due to my diversified shop work, it often comes up.  Not near as much with furniture work as other type of work.

Just try a #22 and see if it improves the situation.  If it doesn't then you have a tension or threading problem, IMHO.  At least that would be my next check.

You are sewing webbing, layers of boat cover material, plus binding with a #20, I do not automatically think it won't work because there is no plastic welt or foam backed materials involved.

Continue checking everything, tension, threading, needle size, it doesn't take much to interfere with a seaming process.

If you reach a point of no success, go back to square one, what I mean is to get back to basics in checking the machine with just two layers and 69 thread.  If there is a problem, it might not even be thread or needle related.

Just don't give up!
Let us know,

Doyle

Mike

It hars to try different sizes when you have to buy boxes of 100 or more if you. Ant use rhem its a wayste.
Looks like i got if ok now here 8 layers more the. Id ever sew
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/IMG_1119.mp4
I i should have a new belt to install tomorow

needles eye

for smaller needle boxes than lots of 100 suggest could try Ebay

'orange' is a pretty good brand

maybe your online friends could send some # 20s and 22s
DP x 17?

http://sewing-online.com.au/search_results.html

Toledo Mach. Sales

We have open boxes of needles & sell them one pack @ a time.I do not recommend Orange needles they seem to bend real easy,we used to sell them years ago & I know how they are.The Organ,Groz-Beckert & Schmetz are all good quality.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

needles eye

many thanx bud
inherited heaps of oranges but now in the know, thanks for the tip
love those pricy german beers, and dear needles, best too mate
i might have to write off to you soon for some new organs
ta
i'll need 'em ..
cheers

Mike

well I finnaly took the machine in  my old guy is out of business. I found a new old retired guy  who been repairing for 50 years.
wish me luck hes good

Mojo

Hope he can get your machine issues taken care of.

Chris

lc

Repair guys are a dying breed.
I have one in North Bay I refuse to go to.  I bought my machine from him and have had him in several times to repair it.  I have the Juki 1508 lu.
I bought it new in 2008 and had nothing but problems ..It broke down again yesterday so I had my guy take it to a fellow an hour and a half from here ...
He said the machine was never set up right in the first place and he had to do lots of adjustments. Now why didn't the guy here do it right ? He said he's been doing repairs for 30 yrs.
Tomorrow will be the test as to weather this guy out of town knows his stuff.
Down time is no picnic

Mike

that's why I have 3 my backup 111w and a juki but I like my oldest singer best

Darren Henry

Quotewish me luck

I wouldn't sweat it Mike. Changing those belts is almost idiot proof. the last one I did was a bit of a pain because the gear puller I wanted to use is still back in Kenora but  I had it done in under an hour.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: lc on January 09, 2013, 05:07:47 pm
He said the machine was never set up right in the first place and he had to do lots of adjustments. Now why didn't the guy here do it right ?
The Juki LU-1508 is easily one of the finest machines on the market. From reading your posts, it appears that either you just happened to get a "lemon", or it was never properly adjusted to begin with.

There are a lot of dealers nowadays whose expertise is limited to domestic machines. I had a serviceman in my shop many years ago who, after working on an old Singer for nearly 2 hours,  finally slammed his screwdriver in disgust, and exclaimed "I don't even UNDERSTAND the purpose of a walking foot!!!"

I'm assuming that you're ready to replace the 1508 if it doesn't get fixed right this time. Don't blame you a bit. We all base our opinions about specific brands on our own personal experiences. In reading your other post, I see that you're considering a Reliable model. I've never seen one, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. I think that the Reliable is very close to some Juki models in design. Seems like I remember reading about a lawsuit.

I hope the new guy finally gets all the bugs out of your 1508 this time.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lc

I have always liked the Juki .  I have just finshed paperwork and ready to go give her a whirl .

Apparently the new guy that repaired it said he was not impressed that it wasn't set up right in the first place . To think since 2008 I have fought with the thing and I was dissapointed Juki may have had a lemon .
I will let you know if it all goes well .
I am  seeking out what people think are good machines at the moment  for getting a back up. I don't want a lemon . He had mentioned the Reliable was a fairly good one.

I have come across these names I had never heard of , thats why I like checking with you guys ,

Wish me luck ! I was taught on an old clunker of a Juki that rarely let me down, therefore I hope this repairman brings my faith back in this newer one .