Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:09:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

1965 Mustang Convertible top

Started by DBR1957, September 10, 2012, 05:08:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DBR1957

Might try my hand at replacing a top on a '65 Mustang. I wouldn't try it except it
belongs to a very dear family member. It has the vinyl rear window.

Best place to get a quality top?
Critical areas to watch out for?
Critical hardware parts that generally need to be replaced?
How to get proper tension?
Proper initial alignment tips?

Thanks!

SHHR

The overall structural condition of the car determines the fit on Mustangs. What shape are the torque boxes or floor pans under the car and how well do the doors line up and fit? Like typical older vehicles the car uses about 2" long fine thread bolts to hold the rear tack strip in place which is easy to strip one out or pull the weld not completely out if it's rusty. once. out check the rain gutter for rust issues too. The header on those (at least the 68 I have in my shop) is made of pot metal and will corrode with big pits the may show through the top. You can fix that with some Metal 2 Metal, or fiberglass body filler, just dont use plain old body filler since it's not waterproof. Most of these cars too have deteriorated roof rail weatherstrips which are pricey, but readily avaliable at mustang restoration companies. It just has a spring and cable tension cable like a standard 'vert and they are many times broken. Like any top you can get the $200 dollar ones that serve the purpose or py more for a quality one. As far as places, I'd check with one of the suppliers on here first then I'd check with restoration suppliers for this car which are plentiful. I'm sure you're aware, but these late model convertibles we've grown accustomed to have spoiled (me anyway) somewhat. Most often or not your rear tack strip will always line up right where it should and staple down and all holes in the new top line up perfect, but it may take one or two times reinstalling/ removing one of these older tops and re-stapling the rear bow to get the tension just right. Patience is the key and something I seem to be lacking lately.
Kyle

DBR1957

Here's a couple of pics. I haven't seen it yet but he just bought it. I will look
for the trouble spots you suggested but I think I might be in good shape here.