Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 07:19:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Double sided tape

Started by brankin, September 08, 2012, 02:44:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brankin

This is my first post so hello to all. 

I need some double sided tape that works on sunbrella.  My supplier sold me a tape with a white cover and it didn't work so he sold me what he called super sticky with a red cover and it was just as bad.  Anybody have a product that works and where do you buy it?
Thanks in Advance

Tejas

Here is link to a Web site that offers various double-sided tape. I've never tried the real sticky tape. Seam tape seems to tend to gum-up the needle, so I avoid long runs. I'm not that experienced with fabric management, and when I've used seam tape on long runs, a thread oiler seems to mitigate the problem.

http://search.sailrite.com/?freeText=seam%20tape

Here is a link to a roller I use to that help seam tape stick. It is otherwise useful as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1EFKM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

brankin

That white basting tape is what I am using now but it will not stick.

Bob T

I've used a lot of Super Seam Stick double sided tape in my sail repair business, but I've not found anything which will stick really well to Sunbrella or Weathermax, so I'm hoping someone has a good solution.

Mojo

I bought some two sided tape for a project I got in from Walmart. I believe it was made either by Scotch or 3M.

That stuff sticks................big time. I loved it but it is expensive to buy. It is also thicker then the seam tape. I used it on Tuffstuff fabric. When you put the tape down you better make sure you have it where you want it. :)

I use the standard seam tape on acrylics all the time. I typically will lay the work out, apply the seam tape and then I roll over the top of the seam with a small wallpaper roller I picked up at Lowes for $ 1.50. This helps alot but it wont hold it in place like the two sided tape I got at Wally's. That stuff is awesome.

In regards to the glue sticking to the needle I typically will spray the needle with silicone before doing each seam run. It doesn't completely stop the glue from sticking to the needle but helps a great deal from getting a big build up.

Chris

Tejas

I haven't tried it, but teflon spray on the needle apparently also works.
Dave

scarab29

Super stick seam tape works like a champ for me. This tape understand is just meant to hold the seam together while sewing it. I can't think of anything you could use as a tape that will hold as a seam. You do have to press it down welll and I can see the wallpaper roller helping a lot.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

Venture Tape , I bet Miami corp have it  .. .Mike ?

Rich

brankin

I talked to a friend of mine in the tape business and he is sending me a thermal set tape to try.  Just fold the seam and heat with an iron.  I will post the results of the test.
Thanks for the tip for tape at Wally world.  Is it found in the sewing section?

Darren Henry

QuoteI bought some two sided tape for a project I got in from Walmart. I believe it was made either by Scotch or 3M.

That stuff sticks................big time.

I would guess 3M ™ . That is what the "heavy duty" stuff I get from George N Jackson says on the "discard" side of the wraper.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Tejas

As for thermal set tape, the following link includes the statement "Never apply heat to Sunbrella fabrics."

http://www.sunbrella.com/cleaning/marine-tops-covers.php
Dave

Mojo

Tejas is right, it is never a good thing to apply an iron to acrylic fabrics. I have and still do iron seams but I dial down the heat setting considerably. I rely more on my handy dandy wallpaper roller more then the iron. :)

Chris

cthomps

There is a product on the market called "sewers aid."  It can be found at the local fabric store.  1/2 oz bottle in blister pack.  I am not sure if it is telflon or silicon. I cut a small piece of mole skin, the stuff you use for corns on your feet, and stick it on my machine where the tread will run across it.  I then saturate the mole skin with the sewers aid and the thread lubricates itself. It keeps the needle from guming up..  Works like a charm and doesn't deposit a glob like lubricating the needle does. As far as pressing seams open,  I use a bone folder, Popsicle stick, or fid and run it up and down the seam to crease it open.  Hope this helps.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

JuneC

Super Seam Stick, white backing or red, doesn't work for me.  It sticks so poorly to Sunbrella I can't even remove the backing on the tape.  The whole thing pulls off.  Sticks like a son-of-a-gun to Strataglass or vinyl, though.  If you rub the Sunbrella with denatured alcohol it'll stick really well.  However, the alcohol removes the water repellancy of the fabric so I just don't bother. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

brankin

June
I am going to try the alcohol trick...thanks