Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 01:24:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How To Approach This Boat Cover?

Started by jojo, September 07, 2012, 07:35:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Most of the boat covers I've made have been cockpit covers or snap on full covers for smaller boats. This is the boat I'm making a full cover for next week (minus the enclosure):

Would you go over the rail in the front, or make cutouts for the bars? Also how far down would you bring the cover - it will have grommets for the tie downs.
Thanks for any advice. Pics of anything similar you've done would be really great too. Thanks!
Jo

jojo

It's a 1987 Hydrasport walk around 22'.

JuneC

I'd go over the railings and down about 8 to 10 inches below the rubrail, maybe lower in the bow.  With the undercut of the bow, a fitted nose will make it much less likely to blow off when trailering (I assume they want to trailer it).  If it's just for storage, then maybe 8 inches all the way around. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

As june id go over the rail and form fit to the hull to make it snug iver the. Ow id go over the rubrail about 10"
Also with a strap around the perimiter and strap downtot he trailer ot lift. Every 4 or 5' along the sides.
Here is a 30 grady i did a couple years ago

This was a whaler center console but very simmilar
Bolth top
Suspended from the hard top also ihave a zipper on each side and break the. Over into 2 pieces to getaround the top or t top

jojo

Thanks guys! Can I ask, how do you treat the bottom perimeter...how are the straps attached?

Mike

At the bottom i have a pocket with a stap arounf te perimeter eith a buckle to tighten snd buckle at the zippers.
For the strap mine shown go under the bost sns strap to the other side.  Each strap is started eith a reinforcement mar of heavy fabric kike her ulite to stread the pull of the strap with a buckle on the otherside. I sew the long strap on the canal waterside  of the boat then hanging down thebstrap csn be hooked underneath with a boat hook pull under to the dockside  and secured.

jojo

Thanks Mike and June! Two more questions, if you don't mind: 1) The boat will be on a trailer for patterning. How would you pattern it - with the fabric blank and go all around with a ladder making marks and darts, or would you do the half patterning thing? and 2) I always find the back well where the motor is awkward to go around. There's always wire stuff in the way, and I never know if I'm cutting too far back, know what I mean? Is there a rule? I'm not even sure how a finished cover should look back there.

Mike

I just cut as close to the motor and harnes as i can fit the cover   
Simetes i need a seperate hole for the harmess.
Theres are the best pics i have.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/covers/img_0321.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/covers/100_0489.jpg

Darren Henry

I'd do as Mike and June: but; inside the bottom hem I'd put 1" poly web and a ratchet handle to tighten it on the dock side of the transom. If you don't remember my photos and description, let me know and I will repost.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jojo

Hi Darren,
I don't remember this discussion previously, so yes, that'd be great if you could post pictures! Thanks.

Mike

It was talked about wuite awhile ago jojo.
I recal just had a source for a stainless steele rat het like a carvo strap with ratchet she sed it o. The strap around the bottom of the cover.

mroy559

I might do as Mike along with June: but; inside the lower hem I might put 1" poly web and also a ratchet handle to make tighter it for the dock side in the transom. If you do not remember my photos along with description, ok, i'll know and Let me repost.

jojo

Ok, so now the customer thinks he'd like to be able to have the cover on while it's on the water!  So, if the cover comes over that rail on the front, won't it be really hard to snap it on the front part??

DBR1957

Having it on in the water changes everything. You're going to need some attachment to the boat. How much
depends on the weather in your area. Forget about drawcord or webbing in the hem. Your customer will hate
putting in on and could risk falling in while trying. To me, using drawcord or webbing in the hem should be left
to boats that stay on the trailer when not in use.

I've done full snap on covers like this before and have made them in sections so it's not all one big giant piece
to put on. The boats were kept on lifts. If the boat has a fat rub rail you can put snaps on the underside of the
rub rail. Never put snaps in the hull below the rubrail. You don't know how much I hate it when I've seen
someone do that. 

jojo

Thanks DBR. Why not snaps below the rubrail...aesthetic reasons or is there something i should know? This boat does have a nice fat rub rail, so it will be easy to drill the snaps into it, so I think I will go that route.