Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:02:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Repair work - seats with seat heaters

Started by baileyuph, August 23, 2012, 05:38:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

August 23, 2012, 05:38:08 pm Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:56:12 pm by DB
Working on seats equipped with heaters, it has been noticed there are various types, even some manufacturers seem to have more sophistication than others.

I was duplicating original upholstery in a car and noted the heater wires was a couple wires attached to the backing or lining of the upholstery.  The wires were connected to the backing (the 1/4 inch foam backing to leather for example) by what looked like a patch at one inch square.

This type connection to a small area of the seat caused me to wonder how it heated the entire seat bottom?  The wires did not run through the seat bottom area, just to a patch that might have been glued to the back of the upholstery padding by a patch, about one inch square, like I described above.

Or is the material the two wires stop at just that conductive and actually warm up the surrounding materials?  I suppose that is what I am observing?

Anyone, the car guys in particular understand all this and how would you sustain the heater if the fabric backing had to be replaced?

Crazy question possibly, but never know what some of you guys know.

Doyle

baileyuph

The outcome of this issue:  Transfer the manufacture's backing that incorporates the heater to the work you do.  If it is in a deteriorated position merely enhance the backing and transfer.  This sustains the heater capability and provides a durable cover.

Doyle