Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 11:27:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Religious web sites

Started by gene, August 22, 2012, 02:34:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

August 22, 2012, 02:34:09 pm Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:35:04 pm by gene
Howdy,

Here's a topic I'll tread lightly on.

I was looking at a web site that sells the fine art of upholstery. They have a Bible verse at the bottom of each of their pages.

1. What do you think when you are looking at a web site and you see religious stuff, like Bible verses or slogans    

about Jesus or God or Allah?

I tend to get a bit turned off by it. I wonder if they are trying to tell me that they only want to work with people of similar faith, or if they are trying to proselytize. http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+proselytize&qpvt=procelitize+definition&FORM=DTPDIA

2. Am I a bit jaded or is this how our society has influenced us?

3. Why or why not do you put articles of your faith on your web site? Or if you had a web site would you?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Tejas

In the spirit of full disclosure, religion has almost no personal relevance to me other than art, architecture and music, all of which I greatly appreciate.

Just an observation but perhaps this is testimony that seems to be important to fundamental religions. While testimony seems to border on proselytization, perhaps it is just an expression of their faith.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

JDUpholstery

I try to keep my religious, or lack thereof, views to myself when it comes to business...but around here people seem to think its ok to bring that up during business discussions....The guy i had made my sign went on for 30 mins about church and prayer and I had to sit there quietly and keep it to myself the whole time that I am agnostic! Some real nice folks around here but some put too much stock into religious beliefs and business...they wont deal with you if your not part of the church and stuff....

sofadoc

Regardless of religious beliefs, one thing is clear. Believers and non-believers only have one planet to co-exist on.

I'm not affected either way by a scripture laced website, but I sometimes wonder if the intention is to make the site's owner appear more honest and trustworthy.
Locally, some of the shrewdest businessmen I know routinely play the "God" card every chance they get. And some of the finest people that I've ever met have no religious convictions.

Ironically, some of the larger local churches go out of their way NOT to hire church members for repair and/or remodeling services. Too many "conflicts of interest".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

My relationship with god is unique and personal. Therefore I don't post my religious beliefs on my website but I have no problem with people who do. Its there site they can do what they want.

What bugs me about religious zealots is they all think their religion is the true religion and put down all others.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
Dave Barry

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

jojo

I'm with you, Gene, it is a total turnoff. I honestly could not care less about anybody's religious affiliation. Tmi, if you ask me.  And yes, it is a form of proselytizing; why else would you advertise it?
My favorite bumper sticker says "Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole".

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on August 22, 2012, 07:19:56 pm
People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
That's why it's always a dicey proposition to discuss religion and politics.
EVERYONE thinks that their religious beliefs and political views are the only correct ones. And everyone else is not only wrong......but pure evil too.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

There are a couple of businesses that I patronize who are prominent about their religion.   It neither helps or discourages me.

What really irks me is to see the cars whose entire rear is covered with bumper stickers.  Don't know why, but 90% of them seem to have a liberal agenda, but the conservative agenda is equally irritating.  And don't get me started on truck nuts.

Your opinion should be like your dog.  I can admire it but don't expect me to take it home.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

needles eye

August 23, 2012, 12:09:16 am #9 Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:40:55 am by needles eye
I think it says in the good new book that faith without works is dead (James).

Faith is a personal thing - but certainly "the best sermon is a good example".

Religion has a lot of crap sandwiches to hand out.

Convert to meat pies or die!!!

I don't go to church but i usually fall on my knees bedtime and morning to pray.

To whom you may ask? Jesus? Allah? Buddah? Yahwah? The little green men?

It's my business!

And it's probably everyones' business to be tolerant and not so extremist.

AS Kodydog states "What bugs me about religious zealots is they all think their religion is the true religion and put down all others."

Edit "the Christian on his knees sees more than the Philosopher on tiptoes".

SHHR

I enjoy seeing a simple scripture that may be of encouragement or to some effect like that. Where I would draw the line personally is seeing something that appears to draw attention away from what the intended purpose of the website (in this case the art of upholstery) and put too much emphasis on the religious end of it. I'm not trying to judge and only the Lord knows their heart, but from experience I've seen many jump on the religious bandwagon theme just to try to boost sales. A divine marketing ploy if you will.

Again on a personal note, I am very conservative politically, and very active in the Christian church. For example on my personal Facebook page I've got in some very good (sometimes heated) discussions involving politics and faith, however on my business page those topics are NEVER brought up. I am in business for a livelyhood to support my family and will graciously accept business from anyone provided the customer doesn't ask me to go against my faith or beliefs and out of that same respect I will in no way impose my beliefs on those same people, not to say I won't try to share my faith just not impose it.
Kyle 

Mojo

During my business consulting years my advice was always to leave religion out of their business and advertising. You may bring in a number of Christians but you will piss off more non believers. You either want to preach or run a business but rarely do the two compliment each other.

I am a Catholic and was raised in a Christian home and schooled in private Catholic schools. You wont find me putting a picture of the pope on any of my advertising. But I will advertise my business name through Catholic organizations and associations.

I am an equal opportunity business. I will take your money if your an Athiest, Catholic, Mormon or Baptist. :)

There is a business ( auto repair center ) near our home in Bristol, TN. He has a big cross as part of his advertisement and the name of his business is " His Service ". The guy just happens to be one of the biggest crooks there is. He screws people constantly by fixing things that do not need fixing and replacing good parts.

My favorite saying in Christianity is do not talk the talk with me......walk the walk.

Chris

Rich

QuoteMy favorite bumper sticker says "Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole".

That's a good one! Very much like Jesus' own words. Luke 21:17
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

jojo

Ghandi said it best: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Mike

I saw a tv commercial thebother day not religious but it was a eoman and a guy she said  ustomers should expect top brand appliances and now were expecting  too going to have a baby. To make everyone ahh we have to bhelpmthem there gona have a baby!