Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 07:22:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstering under a slipcover

Started by LadyLAnn, July 23, 2012, 02:04:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyLAnn

Can I have some direction as to what fabric to use under slipcovers? 

I have a client that wants, well needs, a chair reupholstered, but she loves slipcovers so plans to have one made for it. I have not done upholstery to be slipcovered before, so I am at a loss as to what fabric to use.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Comments? etc?

Thanks in advance :)

MinUph

Our slipcover girl uses a white cotton fabric for underwear as she calls it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

White cotton is good or muslin or canvas. Details are not important like welting or skirts. The cushion needs to be done in such a way that it still has "push". If you cut the inside fabric the same as the slipcover fabric then the finished cushion will wrinkle. One solution would be to use the slipcover fabric only on cushions.

My question is what is wrong with the fabric that in currently on the chair? Most upholsterers slipcover over the existing fabric.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

LadyLAnn

Thanks for the quick help!  :D

I was thinking of a muslin, but what I get from my supplier is not real heavy, it works under the final cover, but not for under slipcovers. 

Where do you get the white cotton?

Would down proof ticking work? I am not using down, but it has nice weight and a smooth finish.

Oh, the whole chair need reupholstered...springs, the works...she just likes having slipcovers. I go to see the chair the end of the week....we'll see what my recommendation is after that :)

MinUph

I wouldn't recommend down proof ticking it is noisy and stiff. Maybe of you washed it first it would take the sizing out of it. I was thinking more of a plain cotton like a chince, of something softer.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

LadyLAnn

Quick update:

When I visited to see the chair in person, my client had taken off the homemade slip cover and when she saw the "bare bones" of the chair--which was wood trim on the arms and shoulders, she decided to have it upholstered in upholstery fabric and forgo the slipcover completely.

So my "problem" is solved. Thanks again for your help! :)