Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 07:25:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Absentee customers.

Started by Mike, July 20, 2012, 01:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Now i just did a job this week a back fly teo sest covers and a dash cover on a proline walk around. 30'
The colustlmer was up my azz the shole time shole insas installing.
Inhad ti ask hom to move several time as i had to get were he was standing.  Then today i figured an easy da mKing a new canvas for a portable gazebo i guy brought to me last week.
I forgot but today he is in wisconsin  till the 1st.
And ive also got one guy to do a mooring cover on a flats boat gone durring the same timline.

Mojo

I hated working on a project with the customer right there. My solar screen installs always involved the help of the customer and it drove me completely nuts. I used to get nervous drilling holes into the side of a 1/2 million dollar bus but it was even worse with the customer standing over my shoulder watching.

I love my current work. They send me the measurements, I make the toppers or awnings, they pay me via Paypal, I ship them out and that is that. Nice clean deal.

I once seen a sign at a business that said - " Our labor rate is $ 75.00 per hour. It is $ 125 if you want to watch ". :)

Chris

Mike

That. Great way to work chris!
Funny thing ive seen so mNy ill fitting canvas's  over that fit like a fent draped with wrinkles. Ut they accelt that   "it came on the boat tha way" and they wanted the boat so it sas ok but if i make a simple
Cover. Boy it had to be not to tight not to loose no erinkles at all.
I had a guy  oncerned if i used enought stalles installing hydem on a seat he wanted  more

scarab29

If the owner is up in my face while i'm working , I ask jokingly if he remembers our labor rates. Similar to the post above , If the customer watches it's double , if he wants to help it's triple. Of course there's our regular rae where I'll do a real nice job for you if you leave it and let me do my work !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

byhammerandhand

July 25, 2012, 10:39:21 am #4 Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:42:39 am by byhammerandhand

A favorite clause:

•   Will perform the work specified independent of customer's supervision, being responsible only for satisfactory completion of the work.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SHHR

July 25, 2012, 10:50:05 am #5 Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:50:31 am by SHHR
It amazes me those who'll stand there and make suggestions while you're working. I told a guy once if he knows so $#@#ing much about this work why isn't he doing it himself and saving the money. They usually shut up and leave after that.
Kyle

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

QuoteI told a guy once if he knows so $#@#ing much about this work why isn't he doing it himself and saving the money.

I used to hand them tools when I had my own shop. Saint Pat never the drove the rats that fast. LOL.

Chris has raised the bar on this whole e-whorld thing . When emailing pictures became affordable; my friend Jerry (caretaker on Lake of the Woods)  cut his payment time from 2 months to 2 weeks. He'd call customers and say ??" a tree fell on the old outhouse in last night's storm." They would then call family/friends who were in the area to look before they authorized the needed work. Then they would wait to hear from same before they mailed a cheque after he was finished. Now he sends them an e-pic "yup, that's a tree on your outhouse" followed by "there's the firewood piled up there and the new roof there. " "Please deposit $xx to the camp account."
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!