Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 06:29:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Measuring formula for pleats

Started by marko69, July 11, 2012, 08:59:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

marko69

A rectangular piece of 1/2" sewfoam with Vinyl glued on top, making 5 pleats, 2" wide.  Double needle machine.  The piece needs to be 20" long.  How long do I need to cut the vinyl/sewfoam? Is there a general rule of thumb here? Maybe adding 1/4" for each pleat? 

MinUph

I cut it oversize and when the piece is all sewn then cut down to finish size.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

mike802

When using 1/2" pleating foam I add 1/8" for each seam to come up with the basic amount needed and then do like Paul suggest.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

That's my formula, too. Make it too big, and cut off whatcha don't need. ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

When I first read this thread I was thinking in terms of knife and box pleats (as on a slipcover skirt or drapery panels).  And I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what the heck you were going to use the sew foam for.  (what a knucklehead!).  I think I'm "with the program now.  lol

marko69

Just cutting the piece after sewing it?  That didn't even cross my mind, I guess it was too simple....lol.  I was thinking in terms of making a permanent pattern but I could just cut the pattern the same amount.  Thanks ya'll

Mike

Are you makeing like a tuck and roll pleat for the loss Per seam i figure yes over just stiching a pleat sith the thread showing.  But why the double needle ? I just fold and sew each roll and dont cur it. I figure sbiut a 2/4" per pleat with a tight 1/8" seam allowance   Like the rest make it. Bigger then. CUt to what i need