Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 06:28:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Joe New Guy

Started by lowbudget, July 11, 2012, 06:46:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lowbudget

Hi Everyone I finally decided to join the forum after lurking for years. I'm not a professional nor do I want to be one.

I usually just do upholstery for myself but have been conned into doing a couple projects for friends. I have done auto seats, snowmobile seats, motorcycle seats, saddle bags ect..

I have an old Chandler industrial straight stitch machine (non walking foot). I don't remember the model number and I'm at work here in Saudi so I can't even go see what it is. I bought this machine +-25 years ago, ordered a motor and built a stand and my first project was a set of saddle bags. Through the years it has paid for it self on various projects.

A few years ago I picked up a used Thompson Mini Walker dirt cheap. The same machine as a Sailrite. If I remember correctly they are based on a Brother design. I put on a monster wheel with a hand crank on it so I could use it wherever, whenever. I have done 3 snowmobile seats and some other projects with it so it has paid for itself also. The truth be known I didn't want to go out in the cold garage to sew those snowmobile seat covers. It fits in my spare bedroom.

My latest purchase is a Singer 16 188 that appears to be in great shape. The guy wanted $250.00 for it, I asked what his lowest price would be and he said $150.00. I whipped out $100.00 and said it looks pretty old and he took it. He is a car guy like me and said it was his late brother in laws machine. I loaded it up and put it right in my storage shed so I haven't run it yet. I will know more when I get home this days off as I have my boat cover to do as well as a set of bucket seats. I plan on test driving it on them after I do some basic maintenance and playing with it. I did get a big bag of bobbins and some heavy thread with it also.

OK enough about me, now the question part of my post. #1. The Singer takes a 16X63 needle. Is there any needles that are more available that I can use? I read somewhere a 135X17 would work. #2. It has a leather belt with an old clutch style motor. Will a Singer leather treadle belt work? #3. I read somewhere that the bobbin is different on the 16 188. They are angled down towards the outer edge. What is the story behind this? #4 Are parts still available for the 16 188? Are there any welting/piping feet, zipper feet available?

Sorry for the long post but after reading all the posts I thought that were relevant to me from page 113 to page 1 while I was waiting to get accepted into the forum I figured I deserved it. lol  I do feel I got to know some of you a little bit in all that reading also.

Thanks Mike

sofadoc

July 11, 2012, 07:08:16 am #1 Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:25:07 am by sofadoc
Welcome Mike. I sensed that someone was lurking ;)  I know that we had some good discussions about the 16-188 in the past, but we had a crash a couple of years ago that knocked out most of the older posts.

As a teenager, I sewed on my Grandmother's 16-188. I remember that it took an "A" bobbin, while most walking foot machines take either a "G" (small), or an "M" (large).
I remember the "A" was slightly smaller than a "G", but I don't remember anything about an angled edge.

There are many old timers that still swear by the 16-188. And since you're just doing this work for a little extra fun and profit, I think $100 was a good buy for you.

I can't remember now whether or not that model employed a 2 piece set of welt feet.
I'm sure that some of the others (who remember the model better than I do) will chime in.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lowbudget

I found the posts on here that referred me to another post but it is no longer available.

I think it was on Leatherworker that I read about the bobbin. But I have been unable to find it again in my internet searches.

I think I came out OK on the purchase. I could have bought a new machine but then I would have to justify it and use it all the time. And as we all know upholstery is a lot of work. I'm just happy to have a real walking foot. Who knows maybe I'll come across a great deal on a newer machine.

Now I have the cool factor of saying "That was sewn with a 100 year old machine". It also matches the old Singer treadle machine I restored for my mom many years ago.

kodydog

Welcome Mike. Can't help you but did get a kick out of your post. What are you doing in Saudi?

As far as belts go, wouldn't a fan belt from NAPA work? Just thinking.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I remember my Grandmother's old machine had a round leather belt that was joined by a hog ring.
But for sewing machines and motors with  regular V-belt pulleys, I got one from the lawn mower shop down the street. Works fine.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lowbudget

I actually work in Kuwait but we are across the border in Saudi drilling a well. I work for Baroid Drilling Fluids/Halliburton. I do a 28 on 28 off rotation. The 3 days of flying comes out of my days. I've been over here 15 years now. I could make more money at home but I would have to work all the time. I like the days off as I'm not getting any younger.

I thought about the NAPA belt but I figure the pulleys were made for a round belt not a v belt. I had also thought of making a big round belt out of o-ring material.

When I built my stand for my Chandler I put the motor in the middle of it's adjustment range, took a piece of string and measured around the pulleys and bought a NAPA belt the same size as the string. It worked great and is still on there.

I thought I had read somewhere that there was 2  diameter sizes of the  leather belts. The length should be no problem just cut to fit and hog ring it.

It has the belt, it just looks a little rough........Kind of like its owner. I just wanted to have a spare because I have been known to tear stuff up at the worst possible time.

Thanks for the welcomes
Mike