Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 06:30:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Grommet Size?

Started by jojo, June 17, 2012, 04:13:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Just finished patterning a boat cover. It has one of those poles designed to go through a grommet, but I don't know what size grommet to use....it's just a 20' Rinker boat, and the pole (as I remember it) looked like a standard adjustable pole with a pointy tip. Anybody know what size grommet? Thanks guys!

MinUph

Size                                   #00     #0      #1    #2   #3      #4
Diameter of hole when set   3/16"  1/4"     5/16"   3/8"   7/16"  1/2"

Hope this lines up right.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jojo

Thanks Minuph, but my problem is I don't know the size of the pole, and it's on the boat, which I no longer have access to.  :-[
All the covers I've done so far have the poles with the snap on it, so I've never had to think about this before.

Mike

I dont like the gromett pole option ive seen many gromett come out to the seam fail it the grometts is in the seam snd if the pole is nit up tight the wind can lift the cover and thebpole can fall over  you can get poles with a snap stud in it or if its a plastic tip cut it off drill and install a screwstud. And sew a pad with a snap socket under the cover were needed rathe then the gromett.

JuneC

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

jojo

Mike

June 18, 2012, 08:23:01 am #7 Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:41:57 pm by MikeM8560
Thoose of you who use a gromett do you put the gromett in one side off center of the center  seam first while its easy to  install the gromett offset of  the seam or  try to roll it sll up  snd indtall it in the center

timtheboatguy

I agree with Mike, I have had several repairs where the grommet punched through the cover with a little snow weight. I typically use the Boat Vent II for most applications or sometimes just sew a tube to a 6x6 piece of Top Gun or GVC18 and stich to the underside, also have done the snap method too if the customer has poles with a snap stud.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Peppy

I don't use a grommet much. Now we mostly use Boat Vents or snaps. I've never seen the offset grommet. Good idea doing it first and offset it Mike, but I'm sure I'd have to explain it to everybody that saw it that I wonder if it'd be worth it.

Also a spur grommet is much better than a sheet grommet if you have a set.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

JuneC

I don't like them, but some customers want them.  I prefer snaps or Vent-So-Ports.  In all 3 cases, the area has to be reinforced.  I like a patch underneath made from Herculite or something similar. 

Mike, on the center grommets, I don't use the grommet press.  I have a #3 hand set anvil and setter you hit with a hammer.  So, setting the grommet on the finished cover isn't difficult at all.  Of course, seams need to be avoided.  Edge grommets - like on a t-top, I use #1 grommets and the press.  And ALWAYS spur washers. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Quote from: Peppy on June 18, 2012, 05:23:57 pm

Also a spur grommet is much better than a sheet grommet if you have a set.

I don't do grommets all that often. What make the spur type better that the normal ones with the tube that gets crimped?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

scarab29

A new pole is like 10 bucks. I always supply a new pole. Just saying. Hate those old poles with the thumb screw and the new clamp style ones are the shizzy. Anyone that had ever messed with a old pole trying to adjust that old rusty screw will be very happy you charged them 20 for a nice shiny new one for their nice new cover. Again just saying.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

Ive see. The claml thingy but latly sll i grt is a metal thumb screw or i used to see the plastic knurled screw alot   
Who are you buying crom scarab?