Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 03:26:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

clear vinyl for outdoor cushion covers

Started by gene, June 07, 2012, 04:33:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

June 07, 2012, 04:33:14 am Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:34:30 am by gene
I have a customer who wants to put clear vinyl boxed cushion covers over existing fabric covered foam cushions. These existing fabric cushions are not made for the outdoors, but they are going to be used outdoors.

My concern is moisture. Do you think moisture will work it's way into the clear vinyl cover and do nasty things to the fabric and foam? I think it will.

Also, the sun will fade the fabric since it is not made for outdoors, I would think.

And finally, what gauge of vinyl, 10, 12, 16, etc. do you think would work best if this customer goes ahead with this project?

And finally finally, will the edges of the clear vinyl covers be sharp? Would it be best to suggest a bullnose style cushion cover so there are no seams on the front edge of the cushion cover?

Thank you for your replies.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I never liked sewing clear vinyl. I don't mind tacking it over a dining room seat cover.
As you point out, it will offer no protection against fade......might even hasten the fading process. And condensatiion will probably occur between the vinyl and the fabric.
The lighter gauge that you use, the easier it will be to turn the cover inside-out without leaving a bunch of "kink marks".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SHHR

I don't see how you could possibbly make it completly air/water tight and yes it would sweat and cause moisture not to mention our summer afternoon downpours that can occur in the Ohio valley. As for the corners, on old 55-57 chevy bel air models, the seat inserts used a clear vinyl welting with what looked like a chrome braided cord inside of it and it looks pretty neat. You may be able to try something like that only use the white foam welt cord and a monofilament thread (just a suggestion).I would rather try to talk the customer into an outdoor fabric and a comparable foam by suggesting they would be happier in the long run. Even if they were very careful on leaving the cusions out side overnight when sweating will occur or in rainstorms the clear vinyl wouldn't provide UV protection of the fabric.
Kyle

lruthb

Been there done that. I had a customer such as yours. Two months out the mold appeared. I told them I had never done that and I wouldn't be responsible for what ever happened ( thankfully ). In the end they purchased new " outdoor " cushions, all of the old material fabric to foam was ruined. Unless someone can teach me a new process, I would RUN next time!

bobbin

Very, very bad idea.  For all the reasons stated above.  "Just say no". 

If she's going to have clear vinyl cushions made she would probably be "good" with having some made from a more suitable, outdoor material and would be very pleased with them, too!

byhammerandhand

Pick the wrong vinyl and it's going to get UV damage frost up and/or get yellow and/or brittle & cracked.

I'd pass on this one.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Thank you for the replies. They definitely confirmed my suspicions. I had never done this particular thing before and I didn't want to even try it unless someone had had success with it.

And not one 'smiley face' in any of the replies. Awesome!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin