Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 05:17:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cover binding edge

Started by Mike, June 04, 2012, 07:35:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Ive always  cut  my edge on a cover to the  snaps or no snaps on the edge i bind the edge inserting 1" webbing other dont use binding but material im thinking of the once ive seen without binding just a turned over hem with  inding or facing rei firced edge. For thoosee of you eho dont bind whats the best method with less sewing i thought if seam tape to hold the turn  then on e sew with the binding. But i woulldnt want to wayste seam tape
For that. Just thinking of saving binding at 50 a roll

timtheboatguy

I have done several covers by cutting the edge about 3/4" inch longer and then stiching on the 1" webbing at the top of the webbing with the 3/4" of cover fabric extending past the webbing. Then flip the cover over and fold the fabric under the webbbing and stich it. This works well on pontoon covers where there are a lot of long straight runs but I have used this method on cockpit covers too.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Thanks tom im going to give it a shot tomorow. I just see three stich line with kne seeing the inside exge of the webbing down i was trying for teo times around the cover like with binding. 

Can-Vas

I use 2" vinyl strips for re-inforcmnt and binding.  Cheap enough (vinyl < $8/yd) - I think webbing works out to cost more?; ...mind you I have to cut 2" strips off the roll of vinyl, so that's time...
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

JuneC

I've done hemmed/faced edges but they require 3 passes around the cover.  Usually now I do 2 passes using binding.  The stuff is getting expensive though. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

I use 1-1/2" webbing and bind the edges. I think hemming the edges would be more difficult when trying to go around corners or cut outs.
Regal Canvas

Grebo

June 06, 2012, 09:03:56 am #6 Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:07:22 am by Grebo
June, I am making more of my own binding because of the cost, plus I prefer acrylic binding to the woven type & I can't buy it here. I just need to figure out how to make the stamoid type stuff then I am not buying any more ready made.  ;D
Ok it's time out to make it up but I think it's worth it.

I do the same as you Can Vas for the reinforcing, ok time to do it & if you are busy a right PITA but with some planning  ??? possible.

Suzi

Mike

Well i did it and it took 3 passes june and yes regal the curves and corners  were a pain. I did t buy a $50 spool and had llenty of time to do it but id rather  used binding and webbing much faster and more time for me rich made a good point also that the binding collects water and though the dirt is generaly not a problem i e seen mold and rotton fhread that i e been paid to resew   
Im awlway looking around to make sure i have enough binding to avoid buying if i dont have to.

timtheboatguy

I like the looks of the binding on cockpit covers where you have cut outs etc. On the method that I mentioned above, I only do two passes.

Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Tim do you fold the edge of the canvas under snd cover the raw edge with webing sewing it together in one psss then sew the opisite side of the webbing down ?

timtheboatguy

Douglas MacArthur

scarab29

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Lynn

2'' strips of herculite (sampson), sunbrella centrefold binding.

I wouldn't use vinyl for reinforcing, especially if it isn't marine grade. It will eventually dry out, shrink and crack. Plus when you are putting it on if it's not cut in the 'no stretch' direction, it could effect the fit of the cover.

I know lots of people use webbing and it seems to work really well too.
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!