Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 03:23:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

bimini top for sail boat

Started by timtheboatguy, June 03, 2012, 07:45:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timtheboatguy

I have a sailboat dealer asking me to make a bimini for a 21' boat they just sold. I have not done much canvas work on sailboats. Is they any special concerns that I should be aware of? Here is a link to the specific craft-
http://www.precisionboatworks.com/boats/p21/index.html

Thanks!
Tim
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Grebo

June 04, 2012, 02:19:35 am #1 Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:22:43 am by Grebo
Yes, Do they want to sail with it up or just sit in the marina ?
For sailing. You need the clearance height for the boom, you need to get the sail up & pull the boom down hard on the main sheet. ( make sure the topping lift is loose) That is the maximum the boom will drop, it normally rises from that point when sailing. People tend to go for the maximum height they can & often end up with the boom rubbing patches out of the canvas.
With the sail up check the swing of the main sheet, you might need to put the bimini forward towards the main hatch more than you might think  ;)
Watch where you put the frame 'legs' there needs to be plenty of room to use the sheet winches with handles in, you need to be standing over them to use them properly.

Have fun.

Suzi

Peppy

Oh boy. That seems like a small boat to have a Bimini. I dont expect it will be very big or very high judging by that little picture. Unless that guy is really big, it looks like there's less than 6' under the boom. And with the traveller at the back it'll have to be far ahead. Seems like you'll be making a cluster **** of frame work making it real hard to even get in the boat. Does he really want a bimini? That boat looks like a candidate for a boom tent; something to go over the boom when he's not sailing, with batons or tent poles in it that ties down when he's at the dock.

This is just conjecture on my part. Until you're on the boat with a tape measure and really start scratching your head you'll never know. I've built some pretty ridiculous things I never would have thought were possible at first.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike

What they said   Id be concerned with the hight of the top  learinf the travler Nd how far corward of it the top would need to be and  ot bei g in the way of the winch handles. I do t do many at all ever sailboats and there always a pia