Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 02:30:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question on Pfaff 545

Started by SHHR, June 02, 2012, 03:19:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SHHR

While reading the local news paper yesterday I noticed an auction at a close by farm next weekend. While looking throught the listing I read there was an "upholstery machine" in the lots. I brought up the complete auction listing online with pics and it was a Pfaff 545 machine. It looks well used with the paint worn off on the bed and what appears to be a clutch motor on it. The listing only said it worked. I have a belief it will go dirt cheap as the most of the listings are of livestock, farm implements, guns, and antiques from an old Mennonite farm. I've been looking for a good backup as I've been putting the miles on my Consew lately. It works fine, but it's always good to have a spare if needed. So the question is; Are these a good machine? Pfaff seems to have a good reputation on quality from what I see, but am unsure of that particular model and its capabilities.
Thanks,
Kyle

scottymc

Good machine, I have a 535, if you pick it up for a hundred bucks or so, how can you loose

sofadoc

That machine will really take a beating. I wouldn't worry too much about cosmetics if the price is right.
Just for comparison, here's a nice rebuilt one:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bfd/3031384635.html

For further comparison, here's a used one with other items thrown in:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/for/3039311074.html

As for capability, the 545 is as capable as any machine in it's class. It's a little more suited to heavier car/marine/canvas upholstery, and a little too hard on lighter furniture fabrics IMO.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Tejas

Keysew has one that looks primo for a bit (or several bites) more than a few hundred dollars. Then again, buyer beware.

http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/e4489d953da54cc297d9fa33faca96ac
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

sofadoc

Hey, look at the link that I posted again, scroll down to the 5th pic from the top:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bfd/3031384635.html

I notice that it has a foot pedal and chain instead of a knee lift. I once had a really old Singer like that, but I didn't realize that anything as recent as a 545 used one.
Any of you guys have that? Do you like it better/worse than the typical knee lift?

scottymc

The one on the keysew site is also a foot lift, it's not an age thing.

bobbin

The first shop I worked for had a Pfaff 545.  Very nice machine overall.  That one was set up with a foot lift, too.  That's pretty common for machinery from a shoe shop setting.  (I come from a garment background and prefer a knee lift).

I wouldn't want one personally for the following reasons:
1.)  parts and presser feet are specific to Pfaffs and are priced accordingly.
2.)  the reverse lever is tied to the stitch length setting.  You have to lift up on it to put the machine is reverse.  Inevitably, you shorten the stitch length over time.  Very inconvenient!

But if you are able to score it for short money it would be a nice addition to your fleet.  Well built, reliable, a quality product start to finish. 

sofadoc

I had an old Singer 211G with the foot lift like that. I remember hating it. I guess I just never noticed one on anything newer. Is there any advantage? Do some sewers "drive" with their left foot, and use their right foot only on the chain pedal?

baileyuph

Just buy it right, if it isn't right then you can make it right.

As a owner of the 545 and 1245, both good machines.  There are a number of good brands on the market, in addition to Pfaff I have Singer, Juki, and Consew;  like I said all good.  I have never been able to look at work and from the stitch identify the machine (lock stitch).  Getting used to a good machine in good condition is imperative in any situation.

Never know, I have seen equipment like this go for peanuts.

Get your self informed about the 545, all are not the same design wise, there is a H-3 and a H-4 version.  Depending on what you do, either could be an advantage.

The foot deal, not sure how big a factor that would be for me, that can be changed or it might be nicer the way it is.  Voltage required to operate, well just be aware what it is;  110 or 220 or?

Doyle

bobbin

Sofa., all my lockstitch machines (4) are set up with knee lift for the presser feet.  I use my right foot on the treadle.  Same thing on my blindstitch machine.  But whenever I use my overlock machine which has a foot lift for the presser foot I use my left foot on the treadle and rest my right foot on the lift pedal.  I trained myself to do it that way when I worked in a production setting, it was faster not to have to move my right foot between the treadle and the lifter and I was paid by the piece. 

My two newest machines are full function and there is really no reason to use the knee lift at all, the presser feet can be raised and lowered using different settings on the treadle. 

I agree that sometimes really very fine quality machines will sell for next to nothing; I think that happens because the people who've inherited them don't really know what they have or can't be bothered to hold out for more money.  "A bird in hand..." and all that stuff. 

scottymc

June 03, 2012, 02:57:41 pm #10 Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:01:05 pm by scottymc
I learnt on foot lift machines, so for the first 15 years I never used anything else. I now have both, you adapt , unless your doing production work like bobbin I don't think make a big difference.

There are some really cheap machines out there, the last 3 machines I have bought have used the term "needs an oil. when you turn it on the motor runs" and "I don't know anything sewing machines"
I am picking an overlocker that I won on ebay tomorrow, $61, I need the table for my singer k6 to sell but if the overlocker works, I'll give it a clean and put it in the local rag for $250 or so.
It's good fun fixing a machine and there is no better way to learn how it works, so it will save you money in the long run too as you won't need to take it to a man to get it fixed at a$100 an hour.

Mojo

Kyle:

The Pfaff is a solid, reliable workhorse. They are an awesome machine, but as Bobbin stated attachments ( feet, etc. ) are priced outrageously high.

I have a Chandler as my main machine and when I went looking for a backup I did not want to have to turn around and start the attachment buying process again. So I selected a machine that was compatible with my Chandler. I found an awesome deal on a Juki 563n for $ 400 that was in excellent shape. All the feet and bobbins are interchangeable with my Chandler which is really nice.
The only thing that was different was the binder setup.

Parts and attachments for Consews, Chandlers and Juki's are always plentiful and dirt cheap as compared to the Pfaffs and Adlers. My point is that if you scored this machine for a couple hundred but had to turn around and spend several hundred more for attachments then it really wasn't a savings. I lucked out big time on the Juki ( Bob Kovar found it listed for sale by my house ). It was such a great deal Kodydog went to the same place and bought one as well. :)

Chris

sofadoc

One thing to remember is that Kyle is only wanting to pick up a BACKUP machine for a cheap price. So having the full compliment of feet and attachments might not be necessary.
He would only need one to muddle through with for a few days if his main machine went down.

When I acquired a Juki LU-1508 for my main machine, I retired my old LU-562 to backup status. Then I got tired of seeing it gather dust in my storeroom, so I traded it for something that I can get some use out of. A Juki DDL-555. It isn't a walking foot machine, but it's much gentler on lightweight fabrics. And if I had to, I could get by with it for a few days if the 1508 went to the shop.

True, feet and attachments are pricier for Pfaff models, but assuming that you go the generic route, the disparity in price isn't as great as it used to be.

Kyle said that he believes he can get it dirt cheap. My idea of "dirt cheap" is a couple hundred bucks. If I stumbled up on a 545 for that price right now, I'd buy it even though I don't need it (just to keep anyone else from having it ;D). But if it were up in the $500 range, I'd pass it up unless I had a genuine need for it.

Grebo

June 04, 2012, 02:44:46 am #13 Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:51:15 am by Grebo
I run a 545 H3 as my #1 machine with foot lift.  I love it, it's smooth & punches through anything I throw at it. I don't have an issue with the reverse & stitch length, I am not a perfectionist, I just buy the dog biscuits  :P
  I also have a Seiko STH 8BLD 1 with knee lift. ( amongst others  :-[ )
I found the knee lift strange to start with being used to the foot lift, but as scotty said, if you are not on high out put production it really doesn't make a difference.
If it's cheap go for it, if it needs too much work you can always sell it on cleaned up  ;D

Suzi