Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 15, 2024, 02:52:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fed up with shipping

Started by Mike, May 31, 2012, 04:49:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I had to order  38 buck of stuff and shipping is 36 bucks :(
Its just getting ridiculas

bobbin

Shipping is "major cabbage" these day, no two ways about it.  I try to compile a shopping list over the course of a week and "bundle" purchases to minimize freight.  But sometimes you can't, you need something and you have to pay the cost. 

I'm also beginning to really see what sort of inventory I need to have on hand to be able to ply my trade successfully and have entered those things into my book keeping program so I can check stock and know what I have.  I'm getting better at that, but it's been work. 

sofadoc

The ONLY item that I pay shipping for is fabric (no getting around that). But I buy in bulk off of a delivery truck for all my other supplies. I haven't had a supply item shipped to me in years.

It is unnerving when you pay more shipping than the item costs.

So how come all these online outlets can offer free, or $5 flat rate shipping when our suppliers can't?
One of the great mysteries of life I guess. The other being: Why can't they make a kickstand that will actually hold a bicycle up? Or perforated pages that don't tear everywhere BUT at the perforations?

It's all a Communist plot.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Here's a very good example of shipping costs. 

You know I like to make floor cloths.  I purchased a 29yd. "piece"  of cotton duck from TriVantage about a month ago.  It's 144" wide and therefore had to be shipped on a truck (if you fold the goods you will never be able to eliminate the creases).  The rolled goods were $286, the shipping was $109.  And it wasn't even delivered to my house, it was dropped at my husband's employer because the big tractors can drive in easily and they routinely receive large and very heavy shipments!  I want to buy a piece goods unwinding cart and even shipped "knocked down" the freight is the hidden cost... the one that seemed too "expensive" is considerably more affordable when the shipping cost is factored into the equation!

TriVantage is particularly irritating because they too frequently can't ship your order from one warehouse... they have to "back order" or ship from another warehouse to complete the order... more shipping charges.  I miss Astrup and John Boyle in RI.  I shop the competition whenever possible, needless to say. 

byhammerandhand

So much for "just in time" inventory for the little guy.  Muda for you.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Got that right keith.
I had J Ennis  isit me wanting to expand buisness. Shipping is from indianapolis.  I was toos if they didnt have as item. They will tranfer it to in from  snada and only  harve shipping from there   

scarab29

I feel ya , just got a bill from trivantage , 24 for some hidem and 12.50 forshipping. Split order !! Total $45 bucks on a $277 order !! Good thing i built in a $200 fudge factor on the job !
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

JuneC

Scarab, you're probably paying too much for hidem.  A roll of hidem at Keyston Bros is something like $17.  Same length as the rolls that TriVantage sells.  Their Cutlass vinyl comes in hidem and 1.5" pleat.  It doesn't fix the high cost of shipping, but I don't buy hidem anywhere else. 

June 
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

Just sonder june do you buy tour. Inyl from keystons? I buy from miami seabrook morbern and sea fook is mike 22 Buck 25 yard rolls

JuneC

I buy vinyl from both Keyston Bros and Miami Corp.  Depends on what I need and what's on sale at the time.  Keyston doesn't sell Seabrook (Morbern).  They tend to carry Spradling vinyl and some exclusive stuff that I believe Spradling makes for them.  Miami has the Morbern line(s).  When Keyston has something on special, not many can match the prices.  They're also about 20 minutes down the road so I patronize them so they'll be there when I'm up to my arse in alligators cause I miscalculated what I need to finish a job.  Its handy to have a stocked warehouse so close.  And Manart is now carrying Seaquest and they're about 15 minutes away. 

I've had a devil of a time matching vinyls lately though.  Seems the manufacturers are in transition by phasing out vinyls from just a few years ago.   Whites are especially difficult. 

June

W. C. Fields

timtheboatguy

June 05, 2012, 07:47:04 pm #10 Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:48:21 pm by timtheboatguy
I am fortunate enough to be about 35 minutes from Tri Vantage and about 45 minutes from Wholsale USA which by the way charged me $38 for a pound of V92 thread today! I thought the prices seamed to have been creapping up and now I know they have. I am going to start looking around for better prices on vinyl, thread, hidem, binding etc. I know not one place is going to low on everything but as long as they are reasonable and fair on shipping then that would be good.

I have bought quite a bit from Rochford Supply, their shipping used to be way out there but not bad lately, Yesterday's order was only 12.00 shipping for 15 yards fabric!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Allan

I bought a portable machine a couple of years ago .$500 for the machine and $200 for the freight

Allan

Mike

June 06, 2012, 05:27:21 am #12 Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:29:46 am by Mike
Ill have to look into keystone do they have canvas?
June remeber debron plastic in davie? I usedto buy from them but  ot for awhile now they seem to be out kf buisness no phone anyway

JuneC

Yes, Mike.  Keyston carries Sunbrella products.  They have a pretty broad catalog.  This month they're featuring Weblon Regatta in all colors of 62" wide for $8.55 a yard.  I may have to stock up.  That's a buck better than Tri Vantage price.

June

W. C. Fields

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Well, I'm tired of having to have everything shipped to me!

Home Dept. put our local hardware store out of business, and home Dept. does not have much of anything (in the unlikely case they didn't have, they would get it for you)

Now, today, I have to Amazon just about everyting I get.